An offer: Anyone care to hunt in Big Sky Country? - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:42 PM
ronn

so why don't you guys give him a PM cause it is a great chance to hunt with a great guy in a place thats not your back yard.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 05:50 PM
B&C 180 Class

waiting for a reply to my questions.thats why
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 02-11-2008, 06:46 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel the signman View Post
How much do ya think it would cost to do something like this?This year is most likely out but i may be able to squirrel away some cash by next year.I got all the hunting gear so its transportation,food,tags,rental car what else?What are the time constraints?its a week long trip im assuming?
Joel, that's a hard one to answer, because the biggest expense would be for your transportation. If you drive, you've got big gas bill, and if you fly, there's another big expense. Of course, just how much depends on where you're coming from.

The license costs $205 for non-residents, and you must keep in mind that these tags are available through a drawing only - unless you don't care about shooting a buck (doe antelope licenses can be purchased over-the-counter.)

If you can bring camping gear, you can stay on some of these ranches for free. That means you have no motel bill or restaurant expenses.

If you fly, you'd probably have to rent a vehicle when you got here.

Hoped that helps figuring out.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:15 PM
B&C 180 Class

some what . i read in one of the mags that you need preference points,this true?.also do you have to buy a license before you enter the drawings?what if you dont get picked,wait till next year? if ya get a license can you also buy a doe tag and take 2 animals? i got tons of questions
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 02-11-2008, 07:44 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel the signman View Post
some what . i read in one of the mags that you need preference points,this true?.also do you have to buy a license before you enter the drawings?what if you dont get picked,wait till next year? if ya get a license can you also buy a doe tag and take 2 animals? i got tons of questions
In Montana we have a bonus point system (preference points are a little different). They are optional, but you can't buy them unless you apply for a license.
The bonus point ($20 for non-residents) will not help you the first time you apply, but will give you an additional chance of being drawn the next year. (Like having your name put in a raffle an extra time.) Of course, you would also have to apply (with $205) that next year also.
If you applied and bought the bonus point this year and got drawn this year, your bonus point for next year goes bye-bye.
My opinion: buying the bonus point is a smart move. Lots of folks apply for these limited tags, and anything you can do to improve your chanes is worth it. Also, the "other guys" are buying the bonus points!
If you apply and don't get drawn, your $205 is returned MINUS a small service fee, I think that's about $5.

Nothing but bucks, and some dandy ones at that!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
My point was not to tick anyone off, as I hunt with a varity of great hunters that I call friends who are from different parts of the US. We just like to hunt with each other and leave the politics at home. Guys I just got the feeling if I didn't live in a certain state that somehow I was deformed or something. Sorry for the jab, my best friends are from many states all over this land, they are the best people that anyone could have for friends. In our camp you will find hunters from NY,PA,NC,OH,MI, pretty diverse group. If anyone took my remarks as a negative Please forgive me, it was more a political thing than personal. I don't think where you are from has anything to do with who you are as a person, it comes from inside. I will try to be better at my comments in the future. Hunting Man!!!
I know this is off the topic but I had to respond. I think it's very safe to say that there isn't one person on this site that views another in negative ways. You all are great people full of congratulations, good lucks, thank yous, and much more.
Anyways, that's enough from me, the stubborn, short fused yankee boy.
Sorry for cutting into your post onehorse, back to the hunt in Big Sky Country, take it away onehorse.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:06 PM
B&C 140 Class

Don't mind your cutting in one bit. This truly is the greatest bunch of guys on any hunting web site. For the record, I, for one, have never been even close to being offended by anyone here. Heck, these guys are more like brothers than anything else!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:36 PM
B&C 180 Class

great pic.so its 225 and if ya dont get picked ya get back 200ish and ya got 2 points for the next year.when is the deadline for antalope?also can ya do a combo hunt?buck and de antelope or add in a deer or other animal.?If im coming out for a week or two i want to really go for it.,if possible.i understand that no hunt is guaranteed and you may not get a shot off but it would be nice to have options available.thats why i always apply for buck and doe tags here and i apply for bonus permits too
Old 02-11-2008, 10:52 PM
B&C 140 Class

Doe/fawn antelope tags in some hunting districts are sold over-the-counter (no drawing) you just buy them. In some districts you can buy up to two of them, so if you get drawn for an either sex tag and buy the additional doe tags, you can actually get three tags. I've done this in the past and killed three antelope.
Applications and bonus points can be purchased by mail or on-line. They're due June 1. The seaon usually starts around the second weekend of October and overlaps into te deer season for a couple of weeks. Deer apps are due March 15.
Joel, if you want to pursue this further, let's do it by email as I can work that better when it comes to links, etc.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:50 AM
B&C 180 Class

10-4 i sent ya a pm