trail cameras - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:35 PM
ronn

Default trail cameras

Do you guys use trail cameras? I started last year and its the coolest thing. I got to see what was around when I was sleeping or at work. I started with a Stealth Cam but I'm not real fond of it. I now use those Moultries that you can get at Wal-mart. They work well. I was concerned about the flash but saw first hand they do not bother the deer. One morning I was headed into the stand about 4am. I had to go by the camera and it always takes my pic. Anyway I get where the camera is going to take my pic when I hear, in the pitch dark something coming through the woods. By the way, the red light does not scare deer cause that's what I was using to see by. Green doesn't seem to either. So I'm standing in front of the camera afraid to move because deer are going to run over me when the camera goes of. The flash didn't bother them one tiny little bit. The first deer pasted only 10 yards to my left and the second and third farther out. The last one pasted at about 10 ft. they never knew I was there until the REAL close one got down wind. The rest had already gotten down wind so that proved I was doing something right with scent control. So now I can't wait for the snow here to melt down some so I can get the cameras back out there.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2008, 12:41 PM
B&C 140 Class

Sounds like terrific fun. I don't have one of these, but my concen would be that someone would steal the unit. Anybody ever hear of that happening?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:01 PM
ronn

It happens all the time, once in while here in NH. That's another reason I get the one from Wal-mart. Its less than hundred bucks. It would suck if someone stole a hundred dollar camera but I'd be looking to get blood if some one took a 6 hundred dollar camera.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:09 PM
ronn

oh yeah its fun. I've got a pic of a 3 legged moose, an 11 point buck that would go 240 lbs dressed, a couple different small bucks, gray fox, coyote, raccoons, and bunches of the same 5 or so deer.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:46 AM
ronn

guess I'm the only one.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Scrub Buck

I agree, the trail cameras are awesome. I see so many deer that I don't see hunting. (Haven't really figuered that part out yet) But I use Moultrie cameras as well, and I have to say, I am very impressed with them. They snap a picture pretty quick. And as you stated, I think they get used to the flash. They are a little slower in colder temps, but I am too. I haven't had any stolen yet, but I hunt mostly private property. I get quite a few pictures of squirrels, turkey, coyotes, and deer. I would have to say equal amount of them all. Great invention in my opinion.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:16 PM
ronn

yeah, the cameras keep me excited about whats out there. and they are cool even just for fun. I'm waiting for the snow to melt in order to get out and scout as well as hang the cameras.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:53 PM
B&C 180 Class

no cameras here we had one at the camp but the camp is no more
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 02-10-2008, 05:08 PM
ronn

Thats to bad signman. its a little $$ to get started but the pics you get .... You can get all you need to start for under a couple hundred bucks. batteries, mem cards, locks and chains. give a try it might surprise you as to whats out there in them there woods.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:09 PM
B&C 180 Class

i hunt state land now dont want to spend the money to find the thing stolen
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky