Headed out - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:54 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Headed out

see yall in a few days. leaving in the morning for NC for the gen gun opener and will be catching the tail end of the rut. Hope to come back with a nice buck and a good story for yall.
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 12:07 AM
B&C 180 Class

Good luck brother! I'm heading out this Saturday hoping to take care of a couple does. Supposed to be a major cold front moving in, temps in the single digits. Hoping to see some action. Good luck to you
Old 12-05-2013, 04:01 AM

Hellbilly Good Luck & Be Safe

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 12-05-2013, 06:03 AM

Good Luck and hopefully you'll come back with some pic's to share.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:30 AM
B&C 140 Class

Got back this afternoon. story may be a 2 part cuz I need to start from the beginning. OK here goes. 3 years ago I found out one of my good friends has been wanting to hunt,but never said anything. I took him to NC with me for a 3 day hunt. Well it took him 2 days to connect on his first deer a very nice fat doe. I had only one day for myself. Turns out a bad storm moved in so nothing was moving and I went home with nothing,but did help him get his first.Last season did the same thing except I connected on a buck first.Last day I sent him down to hunt alone while I cut up fire wood for my step dad. We heard him shoot twice figured he had a deer. He never came up until dark. asked him how big it was and he said he missed both shots and didn't have any more ammo. He thought because last time it was easy at less than 20yds that he didn't need more than 2,but this time it was 50yds with open sites and he didn't put his glasses on. Now this year. First day was mainly to see what was coming in and made a plan for the next 2 days. On Friday a spike came in and he took it. at 40yds with a scope now and glasses. He had a bit of buck fever and was shaking and gut shot it. He couldn't track the blood for crap,so I tracked it down and by the time we got it out of a bottom and cleaned, quartered and in cooler there was no time for a eve hunt. Last day for me again. Figured Id pop a nice doe early and have the rest of the day to hang out with step dad. Well Im sure most of yall know about the storm that has been moving thru if not in it. Well it hit us then and I was in the blind from dawn to dusk very cold and never seen the first deer. Glad he got his first buck. Also did the same with another friend before I took larry and also came home empty due to helping matt get a deer and having a ice storm kill my last day to get one for myself. Question, Larry has not made any attempts to hunt even given several chances,but justs waits for this trip. Should I cut him loose? or tell him its time to poop or get off the pot cuz Im not gonna carry him again and cut myself? He can hunt with me in Fla. and go with me to another of my friends to a lease in Ga. but don't. what should I do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 120613102445.jpg (73.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 120613103745.jpg (74.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 12-09-2013, 09:47 AM

tough one HB, in our camp everyone holds their own weight or isn't invited back.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:37 PM

sounds like you've done well for your friend but at this point I think it's time for him to go solo.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:57 AM

I agree time to cut him loose

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 12-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Scrub Buck

I would agree. I have friends who swear they want to hunt but i dont hear from them until opening day. I have kids to take hunting. This year im down with a hurt leg and cant pull a deer alone guess what no ones calling to help take me hunting. I am always willing to teach a fella how to hunt but it aint rocket science they have to walk on their feet sooner or later.