Deer Hunting Forums banner

Headed out

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Who Dat 
#1 ·
see yall in a few days. leaving in the morning for NC for the gen gun opener and will be catching the tail end of the rut. Hope to come back with a nice buck and a good story for yall.

#5 ·
Got back this afternoon. story may be a 2 part cuz I need to start from the beginning. OK here goes. 3 years ago I found out one of my good friends has been wanting to hunt,but never said anything. I took him to NC with me for a 3 day hunt. Well it took him 2 days to connect on his first deer a very nice fat doe. I had only one day for myself. Turns out a bad storm moved in so nothing was moving and I went home with nothing,but did help him get his first.Last season did the same thing except I connected on a buck first.Last day I sent him down to hunt alone while I cut up fire wood for my step dad. We heard him shoot twice figured he had a deer. He never came up until dark. asked him how big it was and he said he missed both shots and didn't have any more ammo. He thought because last time it was easy at less than 20yds that he didn't need more than 2,but this time it was 50yds with open sites and he didn't put his glasses on. Now this year. First day was mainly to see what was coming in and made a plan for the next 2 days. On Friday a spike came in and he took it. at 40yds with a scope now and glasses. He had a bit of buck fever and was shaking and gut shot it. He couldn't track the blood for crap,so I tracked it down and by the time we got it out of a bottom and cleaned, quartered and in cooler there was no time for a eve hunt. Last day for me again. Figured Id pop a nice doe early and have the rest of the day to hang out with step dad. Well Im sure most of yall know about the storm that has been moving thru if not in it. Well it hit us then and I was in the blind from dawn to dusk very cold and never seen the first deer. Glad he got his first buck. Also did the same with another friend before I took larry and also came home empty due to helping matt get a deer and having a ice storm kill my last day to get one for myself. Question, Larry has not made any attempts to hunt even given several chances,but justs waits for this trip. Should I cut him loose? or tell him its time to poop or get off the pot cuz Im not gonna carry him again and cut myself? He can hunt with me in Fla. and go with me to another of my friends to a lease in Ga. but don't. what should I do?

Attachments

#9 ·
I would agree. I have friends who swear they want to hunt but i dont hear from them until opening day. I have kids to take hunting. This year im down with a hurt leg and cant pull a deer alone guess what no ones calling to help take me hunting. I am always willing to teach a fella how to hunt but it aint rocket science they have to walk on their feet sooner or later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.