Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   A lost buck (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/15002-lost-buck.html)

thefielddude23 12-02-2013 03:47 PM

A lost buck

I am ready to get some hate here...I shot a 6 point buck perfectly,but the blood trail ended,which was very surprising after numerous pools of blood.It was my first hunt ever.We never found that buck.And I cant get over it.I pretty much cried in the field.I am ready for you guys to yell "MAN UP" at me...but if you guys can tell me some stories of your lost deer that would be great...I don't want to feel alone.

gfdeputy2 12-03-2013 04:01 AM

You are not alone It happens to the best no hate here
All you can do is search for that deer until you are confident you will not find that deer one thing you could do if they are available & legal where you are is call in a blood tracking dog it is amazing what little or no blood you can see that these dogs can track.
Last point I can make is if you don't feel bad about not finding a wounded animal then you shouldn't be hunting as hunters we need to respect the game we are after.
Good Luck on the rest of your season

BruceBruce1959 12-03-2013 06:15 AM

No hate here either. It's a big concern for many hunters but it does happen, we learn as much as we can from the experience and move on.
Good Luck.......

Hunting Man 12-03-2013 07:45 AM

it happens, the point has been made that once we have exhausted every effort to locate the animal then we have give up. Now many lost animals can be attributed to poor shot selection especially with archers. Seeing the exit path of the arrow goes a long way towards waiting for an ethical shot. I've never lost a deer with a firearm, however, that's not the case with archery equipment. I wish I could take back a couple of poor shots over the last 40 years especially youthful mistakes.

turner 12-03-2013 09:08 AM

There are pretty much two types of deer hunters; those that have unfortunately lost a wounded deer and those that will.....

Tough to figure that any animal shot "perfectly" would not be found after a reasonable trailing job. Rather, you might figure that your perfect sight picture at trigger pull was affected by one of several factors such as an unseen branch between muzzle and target or a deer that moved just as you squeezed the trigger, just to name a couple.

All ethical hunters regret such occurances and strive to do all they can to reduce the chance of something similar happening again. Trailing a wounded deer is a whole nother skill that needs to be added to a good hunter's skill set. You, however, can only practice it after a deer that's be shot moves off out of sight.

Best of luck on all your future hunts! :thumbup:

Scorpion8 12-03-2013 03:58 PM

It happens. Take this opportunity to resolve to yourself in the off-season to get better at tracking. Use the experience to learn and grow as a hunter. We owe it to the game.

thefielddude23 12-03-2013 04:08 PM

Thanks guys it really helps

Guys thanks really it really helps.Now I am on my pursuit to get my first buck (:

on_the_fly 12-03-2013 08:22 PM

this is a big part of why i do not evening bow hunt, if i was to make a bad shot or a hard to find animal, here the yotes would have it half eatin by first light. but i as well as everyone else that has spent time in the field hunting any game. i have a few that were just never found. matter fact lost one nice buck last year that was run by my neighbors dogs after i shot him. the blood i had for the first 20 yards you would had thought that deer wouldnt had any blood left in his body but still managed to still go over 300 yards to a thick wooded area that was comed for two weeks and i still never found that deer and i knowe i had lug blood. i looked for two weeks thinking i might had walked past n not seen him so i thought the yotes would had him spred around then looking for buzards and looking at the areas they were circiling. all i can say is it happins to the best of us, the experance can only make us all better in the long run but realy unfortunate of any fatily wounded lost animal no matter what !!! keep your head up and only learn for the experiance as we all have to.

tator 12-05-2013 12:04 AM

Like everyone said on here, it happens to everyone. I once shot a buck (the largest I've ever had a chance to shoot in my LIFE) and dropped him. Since he dropped about 125 yds away from me and I could see him in plain sight, I watched him through binox for 15-20 minutes with absolutely NO movement. I got out of the stand and headed his way and when I got 50 yds from him, he JUMPED up, stared at me for about 2 seconds and sprinted off. I was in shock. My rifle was slinged over my shoulder so I couldn't do anything- and in utter SHOCK. I went right where he was laying, NO BLOOD. That was extremely frustrating. The only thing I can think of is that I hit him REALLY high and he though he was hit worse than he really was. Probably grazed his backbone. Once he heard me coming, he jumped up got the adrenaline and took off.

Gamestalker 12-07-2013 04:38 AM

You mentioned that this was your first hunt. I'm not trying to critisize her, but offer some advise.

You said that you found several pools of blood. That's a sign that the deer was stopping & bleeding while he was either standing or laying down. It sounds like you were pushing him. Next time, back off & wait at least an hour (a few hours is better) before you try to track the deer. If he is hit with more than just a flesh wound, he will lay down & die or at least stiffen up enough that he won't be able to get up & run off easily when you do approach him. Try to get a buddy to help track him. Go slow & one of you watch the track while the other keeps looking forward to catch him still laying down if he isn't dead yet.