Bucks Or Does - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:29 AM
B&C 140 Class

Thanks, Joel. I guess I overlooked that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2008, 12:08 PM
B&C 140 Class

I would take a mature doe before I take a smal young buck. . . . . .
Old 01-26-2008, 04:20 PM

Wow this is a great subject. If I was going to set a property for trophy bucks I would first try to shoot all the old dried up does, their only food takers. Next I would take out all the truly inferior bucks leaving the top bucks to breed. Finally I would crop out enough does to balance the deer/acre hoping to have a three or four to one ratio of does to bucks. There are probably two major reasons for small bucks, not enough food/deer or poor nutrition period. Adding food plots and trimming deer numbers will help. You probably will draw deer in from ajoining properties with the food plots, but maybe a couple of great bucks will come too. It is a tough job you have and without fences you may only have marginal results but whatever you do it should provide fun and in about 3-5 years see some results.
Guys this is a great site to discuss hunting and the great outdoors!!!
Old 01-26-2008, 04:49 PM
B&C 120 Class

My brother has been in a club for over ten years with a pretty liberal harvest on just under 300 acres. Five years ago my employer leased the adjoining 900 acres. We only take does and Bucks with at least 8 pts. My brother and his members this years took their biggest deer ever. He's now become a believer after years of saying it wouldn't make a difference. It took us five years but man, what a difference if you just let them grow.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:53 PM
B&C 140 Class

Need to help you on this one. It has been proven that in the wild finding an old dry doe would be the same as you winning the lottery. Does in captivity have produced fawns into their 20s. The chance of a wild doe living that long is slim to none. Just ask Charlie Alsheimer. As far as bucks go the chance of you figuring out if a buck has bad genetics before the age of 3 or 4 is also slim to none. Many bucks have been studied to have spikes first year, forks or basket second year, and be P&Y the next. If you want big deer you have to pass on the small ones and let them grow. I have even heard hunters say boy there was a nice buck here last season and I passed him now he is not here someone must have got him -------Maybe but chances are he is now a 4 1/2 year old. At 4 1/2 years of age a bucks personality changes and he becomes more noctural and secretive. Now you are looking for a shooter. In average conditions on a 500 acre farm during the rut you can have 1 to as many as 5 mature bucks working the property, one is going to be a whopper. Now it becomes our job to put the pieces of the puzzle together faster than he can figure out he is being hunted. In every area we hunt there is a hunter that does it right (legal) and shoots big deer every year. Everyone wants to be him. Without meeting him I can tell you he is selective on what he shoots and has dumped a ton of time into learning how to hunt. The fun part of being a hunter is you never stop learning.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:24 PM
B&C 140 Class

I Have Never Shot A Really Nice Buck .i Allways Shot The First Leagle Buck I Seen Before I Got The Land I Have Now.this Past Year I Passed Up Like 7 Different Bucks From Spike To A 6ptr.i Had A Hard Time Doing It But It Felt Pretty Good After Especialy Knowing That There Was A Mature Buck In The Area.the Only Time I Seen Him Was On Camera.he Was An 11ptr Real Heavy Horned With A Small Kicker Off The Left Side Of His Horns So I Decided To Wait For Him And I Think I Seen Him The Last Day Of Rife Season Chasing A Doe.but Never Gave Me A Chance.i Know He Is Still There Because I Didn't Hear Of Anybody Talking About Him.so Hopfully Next Year.again I Would Like To Thank Everybody For Your Input It Will Get Put To Good Use And With A Little Luck Maybe I Will Have Some Pictures Of Him To Post.