Question - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Unregistered

Default Question

How do I respond to a soft grunt? The kind of grunt a deer gives when he's basically asking, "Who are you" or "Where are you". I hear it all the time, and I've tried giving all kinds of different calls, I've used scent, but I can't get him to come out to me. Any one have any ideas? Thanks
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2013, 06:42 PM
B&C 180 Class

I would do a series of soft grunts like you are a buck following a hot doe. Very soft. Remember the key is, you do NOT want the other buck to know where you are (obviously). So the softer you make it, you trick him into thinking "hey I have to walk past this deer stand to get to that sound".
The other thing to consider, if a buck is soft grunting, he very well may be hooked up with a doe already and he doesn't care about another buck in the territory. You might try not grunting at all.
Rule of thumb, after a grunt sequence, wait at least 15 minutes before you do it again.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:31 AM

I have to admit I've never heard a buck grunt just to say hey so I'm not sure how or if I would respond???
Old 11-17-2013, 09:12 AM
B&C 140 Class

I like to make a snort/ weas. Let them know I'm in his area n I don't like him there too. They'll run in fighting mad.
Also like burst grunts. Ill do a light grunt fallowed by 4 or 5 pop grunts. That is a remake of a buck chasing a hot doe. Every time he hops his body weight pushes on his chest and cases him to pop grunt involuntary. That will bring them in as well,
Old 11-17-2013, 09:20 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How do I respond to a soft grunt? The kind of grunt a deer gives when he's basically asking, "Who are you" or "Where are you". I hear it all the time, and I've tried giving all kinds of different calls, I've used scent, but I can't get him to come out to me. Any one have any ideas? Thanks
Unless you have actually seen the deer as you heard it grunt softly, I'd suggest that it might be a doe's vocalization you are hearing. I've heard does on several occasions making soft "contact" grunts to keep track (I believe) of their fawns in thick cover. Most all of the buck grunts I've heard were sharper and louder. I knew a buck was close by the other morning because I heard him grunt 100+ yards away in thick cover and then saw two does headed my way. He then followed the does in.

I also think that grunting to a deer that you've seen and is also very close is risky to do, especially from a tree stand. A deer has a great ability to locate direction and distance from a sound's source and one risks a buck realizing the sound came from something other then another buck when doing that. If you want to stop a moving buck that's close by for a shot opportunity, then by all means give a soft grunt. I use my mouth to make these grunts. Of course, if a buck is not already alarmed and moving away from you at some distance, a grunt can work very well in bringing him in. I have done this before, myself. I believe a buck in that situation thinks another buck is behind him or even following him and it can make him either inquisitive or aggressive.

Good Luck!
Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Unregistered

Thanks for the suggestions. I can give those a try.

"Unless you have actually seen the deer as you heard it grunt softly, I'd suggest that it might be a doe's vocalization you are hearing. I've heard does on several occasions making soft "contact" grunts to keep track (I believe) of their fawns in thick cover."

That crossed my mind as well.

"I also think that grunting to a deer that you've seen and is also very close is risky to do, especially from a tree stand."

I'll keep this in mind. Thanks.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote