Who manages your deer? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:52 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Who manages your deer?

We've had several posts recently about the conditions of the herds in Vermont and Pennsylvania. Some of them are good news and some not. Back in the 60s and 70s Vermont was crawling with deer. But even then, the wildlife biologists were forecasting a crash in numbers at some point in the future. Although there were lots of factors contributing to this prediction, the main one was changing vegetation - second growth from abandoned farms, which was the biggest contributing factor to the explosion of deer population, in the first place, was developing into more mature forests which meant less food available for the deer. At that time, those biologists wanted to initiate an antlerless season to reduce the numbers of deer to a sustainable level, but their hands were tied because the deer herd was controlled by the state legislature and not the Fish and Game Dept. Personally, I never thought that was a very enlightened idea. Control of the deer was in the hands of guys who maybe would be in the woods a few days a year, if at all, instead of the professionals who had made a career out of studying the needs of wildlife. For whatever reason(s), ultimately, as we have read, that state's herd has crashed. So, my question is this: who controls deer on your state, and do you think they are doing a good job? ( I'd just like to add that given the politics, various optinions and emotions associated with wildlife management, that's not a job I'd want to touch with a ten foot pole! Whatever you personally think about those guys, let's acknowledge that they have a tough job at best.)

Last edited by onehorse; 01-24-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 05:15 PM
B&C 160 Class

Onehorse that was an awesome post. You are 100% correct. Our herd here is managed by the DNR. Our problem is over population. We have a very liberal harvest in place now and yet we still have the same problem. Most hunters are Mon. thru Fri. kind of guys/gals however we cannot hunt on Sundays because of a law 100+ years old. I have cramps in my hand from the number of times the hunters of the state have gotten together to sign bills to change it. Believe it or not we have very active members of PETA working in this department. The only thing granted to us has been first Sat. of bow and gun seasons. I am not a politician nor am I the sharpest pencil in the box but I do have common sense. Even the officers in the field think its crazy. Hunting and fishing in this state is looked at solely as revenue. Being up against Wash.DC I guess it should be expected. I hope this post is not too harsh, I appologize if it is.

I LOVE THESE SMILIES!!
Old 01-24-2008, 05:44 PM
B&C 180 Class

here in ny the Dept of Environmental Conservation DEC manages the herd and the sets the rules. i personally think they do a very good job.we have a pretty long season starts in september in the northern tier and ends in late jan in southern Long island.The bag limits are pretty liberal and i think they do a good job with public land.some of the land is activly managed,cutting plantings etc. for wildlife.Overall id give em an A.No i dont work them but im thinking of looking into it.i always wanted to be a forest ranger
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 01-24-2008, 08:34 PM
B&C 140 Class

wmi,
That sounds like a frustrating situation, and I think you presented it very calmly and not "harsh" at all. Keep the faith. At some point common sense usually triumphs.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 AM
B&C 160 Class

One state that I hunt and fish is New York. In my opp. those boys have their act together. What a great state for the outdoorsman. As far as trophy bucks I think they are much over looked. Did you know as an out of stater it is cheaper lic. wise to hunt and fish there than it is here in my own state? Go figure.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:26 AM
B&C 160 Class

In Tennessee the game is managed by the TWRA. The agency is governed by the TWRC which is a Commission independent from the state government. While the legislature can make laws they do not control the purse strings as TWRA is entirely self funding through license sales and the federal Pitman-Robertson act. This works well most of the time as the Governor can't grab the agency money.

As far as I'm concerned TWRA has done a super job in the restoration of the deer herd. We now have what I think are very liberal seasons and bag limits which allow big game hunting from mid September to mid January. The statistics on the deer herd look very good. While Tennessee will never produce the antler size that some of the trophy states do, we have a well balanced buck doe ratio and a good percentage of older age class bucks that are harvested. By older I mean 2.5 year old and older.

I also feel they are trying to address what I personally feel is the biggest threat to our hunting legacy in Tennessee, which is the loss of acreage to urban sprawl. They have managed to find money to buy many large tracts of land in the last ten years. I saw the other day where they secured another 57,000 acres to go along with and connect the Royal Blue, Sundquist and Big South fork tracks which I believe will now total over 300,000 acres, all for hunting and outdoor recreation.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:24 PM
B&C 160 Class

SC has had DNR control since forever, now new legislation has just been begun to put it in the hands of the General Assembly.

Please keep us in your prayers.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:33 PM
B&C 180 Class

Thumbs up Local wildlife managers

All of this talk about management reminds to tell yall to stay informed and active with your local DNR ,DEC wildlife biologists.These are regular blue collar guys who for the most part enjoy their jobs and dont mind talking to pleasant people.I try to know the guys in the area i hunt and im very constantly calling/emailing my local DEC office to get info.where to hunt,when to hunt what....................etc.you'll be surprised how much info is ut there.Ive got boxes of maps,posters,field guides etc. all for free,well my taxes paid for it .Try this out and let me know how you do
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 01-25-2008, 05:07 PM
B&C 160 Class

Actually I do stay involved and I like my officers some of which I take hunting with me. Well most of them except for the rookie that gave me a ticket for riding my Polaris because he did not believe I owned the land--- AHHHHHH--- well cost me half a day in court to get rid of it. But that is just one man. The problem is politics not the wildlife mang. people. If they(you know who) could let the professionals do their job and stay out of it trying to win votes we would be better off. This is about as honest as it gets.