Deer Hunting Forums banner

Rut sign

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
Here in semo, we are starting to see the early signs of the rut. We are starting to find a few rubs and a few scrapes popping up thru the woods. My brother seen a small spike chasing a doe around a field a few days ago. I was curious if you guys are starting to see signs of the magical "rut" that brings the big boys out to play during daylight hours. During full blown rut, its a fun time to be in the woods!:yes:

#3 ·
Starting to see a few Scrapes & Rubs here too I hear in NY they are making scrapes like Crazy can't wait till the 25th for our trip there

#4 ·
Going out for the first time Saturday AM for early M/L. No bow hunting for me this fall, it looks like. Typically we see very little activity until the very end of October and beginning of November. By November 1st-10th, it's as if someone turned on the firehose and bucks are running does and scraping like crazy. It continues right through Thanksgiving around here. If I go out scouting now, I'm usually disappointed when I do not see rubs in typical spots and scrapes in spots they've used for years. But I now have learned that you just need a little more patience and "presto" they'll be there again just like every other year, come the magic time. :biggrin:

#5 ·
I'm still planning to hit PA from Nov 1-11. We normally hit a bit of pre-rut then full rut 8-11th. There are plenty of scrapes and rub lines to chose from and having hunted 40 years there I pretty much know where to set up. We will have a new hunter in camp and will help gt him set up. PA will be my last hunt of the year so hopefully it ends on a high note. I hope everyone connects this year and hunts safely and smartly! Good luck to all! :yes:

#11 ·
Didn't get to go hunting on the first day of my vacation but we went for a drive around the property where we hunt and it looks like things are picking up. Saw deer up and moving and a medium size buck was running like a crazed fool across a wheat field right out in front of us. He kept on running and didn't even notice he could have been wiped out. Hopefully our family is done with this stomach bug so we can get out there.

#16 ·
Looks like we have finally got a bit of rut sign in our area. I went out to do a bit of baiting and saw a couple brand new scrapes close to my stand (same places they have used for years). Decided to leave a bit of buck urine on those scrapes hoping to get the locals irritated at the "newcomer"....lol!

I'll be sitting by 1 hour before SR tomorrow morning, opener for Ky gun.:pickle:

#17 ·
just got back from PA today. Rut is 4-5 days late. Just this morning we saw 1 nice buck on the move. When we arrived all the scrapes were cold, leaves in them. After a full 8 days of hunting no deer were harvested. My son and another buddy missed small legal bucks both 5 pts, the newbie in camp unfortunately had a buck drop back on the shot and hit the shoulder. We lost that buck after a long track and no blood trail. I didn't see a legal buck at all. In fact I saw very few deer period. The peak rut will be another 5-8 days from now. We totally missed the rut. Well I'm done for the year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.