Newbe in VT - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:49 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtana59911 View Post
onehorse,I live in Bigfork.I have no intrest in mulies(sorry)Our whitetails are absolutly world class around here.I believe that we have the best public land whitetail hunting in the world!Tough hunting though,very remote and often very thick, I do all tree stand hunting.The last 3 years I have been holding out for nothing less than 170+.I have seen 3 bucks in the last 3 years that would go well over 180 bc but seeing and getting a good shot are 2 differant things!!This includes one buck I know is over 200 gross,we have been hearing that a buck grossing 212 typical was shot in that area, if so I am sure it was him.I hope not though cause I spent over a 110 hrs in a tree stand this year trying to get another shot at him.
I also love bow huntig for elk.My best friend out here has horses and I love the high country in sept.I also do some antalope hunting,but the access to private land thing really detracts from the quality of the hunt!!!!
onehorse,yes the hunting is awsome out here,along with the fishing,horseback ridig,boating,hiking,skiing,snowmobiling,rafting,f lying,prospecting

OK, Tomtana, we'd better knock it off. All the other guys on this site will start drooling on their keyboards, their PCs will short out , and they'll blame us!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2008, 09:51 AM

Thats what I was thinking onehorse.. It must be nice to live up there. I already had my calculator out figuring up moving expenses, how much I could make off my house etc...
Old 01-19-2008, 01:12 PM

Just exactly where is that plublic hunting area? I'll need cross roads, signs, topo maps, gps cooridinates ect ect. In fact, let me know when you're not going to be using your tree stand! Lets see, Montana is how many miles from Ohio? Sounds like a great place to hunt. Just a note on antler restrictions, I've hunting PA for 34 years. We started with a lot of deer but poor quality. Now we have much better bucks but considerable fewer deer totals. With fewer deer it makes the other season harvests much more difficult for seniors and youth when they don't see many deer. So the question is: is it better for hunters to have better buck quality or is it better for everyone if deer numbers allow harvest potential for the majority? I'll tell you my position after I see what you're thoughts are. I know some places have both numbers and quality if so great, this question is for the states that have high hunter numbers. Do you want numbers or quality??????
Old 01-19-2008, 03:57 PM
B&C 140 Class

So the question is: is it better for hunters to have better buck quality or is it better for everyone if deer numbers allow harvest potential for the majority? I'll tell you my position after I see what you're thoughts are. I know some places have both numbers and quality if so great, this question is for the states that have high hunter numbers. Do you want numbers or quality??????[/quote]

Hunting Man, that's a good question. My guess is that most people might lean toward more deer and less big bucks. I believe that because if you consider that many hunters are after meat in the first place and lots couldn't care less about trophies, that probably makes up the bulk of the hunters. Personally, at my age, I've killed a lot of deer, but since venison is not my favorite meat (I love antelope and elk!) I'm still looking for that exceptional whitetail rack. Luckily, I live in a state where there are both lots of deer and really big bucks. My biggest problem is holding fire and letting the "immature" 8 and 10 pointers pass. Let's see what the rest have to say.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Scrub Buck

I agree with onehorse.But I dont understand why you have less deer with antler restrictions.Did they overharvest the does.
We here in NW Montana have a newissue to deal with,WOLVES in some of my old stomping grounds I used to see 10 bucks a day during the rut,now you are lucky to see 4-5 deer a day.I have found some new areas that are just starting to get the darn things so we will have to see what happens.Grizzlies,wolves,lions,I wonder whats next.If they ever figure out how to clone and bring back
T-REX guess where they will release them!!!

Last edited by joel the signman; 01-20-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:13 PM
B&C 140 Class

Hey, Tomtana, just wondering how long have you been living in Montana?
Old 01-20-2008, 05:27 PM
B&C 120 Class

I personaly would like to have plenty of deer rather than big bucks. Seeing deer will help recruit new hunters and bring needed revenue through more licenses. I like the meat but will not let a big buck get by if I can. Where I live in Ohio I'm lucky to have both.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Scrub Buck

Today, 03:13 PM
onehorse
B&C 100 Class

Hey, Tomtana, just wondering how long have you been living in Montana?

11 years now