Newbe in VT - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Scrub Buck

As far as I know there still bagging the big ones up north. I do have to say that this question is really funny, reason being is that i had bought the local outdoorsman( I think thats what it's called ) this past nov. due to there story being in it.
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2008, 06:48 AM

According to Tom Blais, the Benoits Videographer, they don't hunt Vermont any longer.
Here's the link to Tom's artice explaining why.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:41 AM

Default Welcome Venison~Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by venison~lover View Post
yes it worked!!!!( sorry all, This is my sons name, but was having trouble earlier getting signed in)
Welcome Venison~Lover.. Glad to have you here with Us. You're going to like this website, there's hunters here your age and they all love hunting just as much as you do, I know you guys will all have good times sharing hunting stories and tips together here.

I already saw that nice Doe you got this past hunting season but would you post some pics so the other members can see and could you write us up the story of how you got it? I know I'd like to hear all the details and I'm sure everyone else would yoo.
Thank You and Happy Safe Hunting.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:22 AM
Scrub Buck

Smile

Hi Guys,I came across this thread while doing asearch for the Benoits,So I thought I would chime in.I was born in VT,lived there till I moved to montana in 96.The state of the deer herd in VT is a shame.Whitetail hunting (for a trophy)is very tough.My family has the oldest established deer hunting camp in VT,and I miss it horribly.
What I am getting at is that there is some great deer hunters I VT,because they have to hunt so hard!Someone told me before I moved here that I would kill some awsome bucks out here because of that reason.They were right,it took me a while to learn how to hold out,and to judge antlers.But my last 5 bucks have averaged almost 160 bc gross all killed on pulic land!(not to mention bow hunting for elk)
That my freind is why the Benoits hunt other places.I will always have a special place in my heart for the green mt state.I often sit in my tree stand out here and miss the sound of blue jays but then a 150 class whity walks out and helps me forget about my homestate,I site there and let him walk on by or chase a doe and wait for him to grow another year or two.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:04 PM

Greetings From Williston, Vermont "Tomtana59911"
I'm Glad you opted to come in and join the crowd. We have a great bunch of hunters here, Old and Young alike, some fine hunters for sure..
AND you're so right the Deer herd here in Vermont is a mess, the state imposed Antler Restrictions a few years back and that is making a little bit of a difference on the quality of the harvests but it hasn't increased the size of the herd YET.. Not noticeably anyway.. What part of Vermont are you from?

Old 01-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Scrub Buck

Originally from Rutland,our family deer camp is on West hill in rochester,Very few deer left there anymore,mostly due to the fact that ythere is no logging anymore and has all grown up.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:33 PM

Yeah Logging and not to mention the amount of Farms that went under over the last 30, 40 maybe 50 years,
Vermont lost a lot of farms, that has a really big impact on wildlife too. Especially Deer...

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 01-17-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:08 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtana59911 View Post
Originally from Rutland,our family deer camp is on West hill in rochester,Very few deer left there anymore,mostly due to the fact that ythere is no logging anymore and has all grown up.
Hey, tomtana, I moved to Montana from Vermont 14 years ago just for the hunting. Where are you in Montana, and when did you move out here? I live in Belgrade. Do you hunt more for muleys or whitetails? What about antelope? Is the hunting great here, or what!
Old 01-19-2008, 08:20 AM
Scrub Buck

onehorse,I live in Bigfork.I have no intrest in mulies(sorry)Our whitetails are absolutly world class around here.I believe that we have the best public land whitetail hunting in the world!Tough hunting though,very remote and often very thick, I do all tree stand hunting.The last 3 years I have been holding out for nothing less than 170+.I have seen 3 bucks in the last 3 years that would go well over 180 bc but seeing and getting a good shot are 2 differant things!!This includes one buck I know is over 200 gross,we have been hearing that a buck grossing 212 typical was shot in that area, if so I am sure it was him.I hope not though cause I spent over a 110 hrs in a tree stand this year trying to get another shot at him.
I also love bow huntig for elk.My best friend out here has horses and I love the high country in sept.I also do some antalope hunting,but the access to private land thing really detracts from the quality of the hunt!!!!
Old 01-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Scrub Buck

onehorse,yes the hunting is awsome out here,along with the fishing,horseback ridig,boating,hiking,skiing,snowmobiling,rafting,f lying,prospecting,dino digging,etc etc.