Having trouble getting started... - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2013, 10:44 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default Having trouble getting started...

Hunting season opened up yesterday here in Oklahoma! Only problem is that I have been slacking this year, and none of my setups are ready. We had a big snow storm in late feb. that broke down a tremendous amount of tree limbs throughout the forest here. I did go out to survey the damage about a month ago, and found myself crawling through debris just to get to the stands. It looks aweful, and I lost motivation before even getting started. This is the first year since I started hunting that I have done no preseason scouting. I have no clue what they are doing besides knowing the patterns of years past. Last weekend I went and hung a couple new sets on field edges because it is now too late to go into limb cleanup mode. oh well...hopefully the edges will work for me this year. I'm sure I will miss my honeyhole stand and the deer that usually go through there, but going in now to clear things out may mess it all up...Anyway, good luck to all you hunters out there. Make sure to get out there and introduce a youngster to hunting this year! Most of us have had mentors in life and in hunting that have taught us some valuable lessons. Don't pass up the opportunity to pass it on!