Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   Having trouble getting started... (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/14026-having-trouble-getting-started.html)

flexj 10-02-2013 10:44 AM

Having trouble getting started...

Hunting season opened up yesterday here in Oklahoma! Only problem is that I have been slacking this year, and none of my setups are ready. We had a big snow storm in late feb. that broke down a tremendous amount of tree limbs throughout the forest here. I did go out to survey the damage about a month ago, and found myself crawling through debris just to get to the stands. It looks aweful, and I lost motivation before even getting started. This is the first year since I started hunting that I have done no preseason scouting. I have no clue what they are doing besides knowing the patterns of years past. Last weekend I went and hung a couple new sets on field edges because it is now too late to go into limb cleanup mode. oh well...hopefully the edges will work for me this year. I'm sure I will miss my honeyhole stand and the deer that usually go through there, but going in now to clear things out may mess it all up...Anyway, good luck to all you hunters out there. Make sure to get out there and introduce a youngster to hunting this year! Most of us have had mentors in life and in hunting that have taught us some valuable lessons. Don't pass up the opportunity to pass it on!

tator 10-02-2013 07:07 PM

I know the feeling... the land I hunt is my father-in-law's and about 3 years ago he had alot of trees cut down for logging and they left the tree tops EVERYWHERE. Completely screwed up my hunting plans and messed up the deer trails. It's slowly starting to get back to normal, but it's going to take alot of years to get those tree tops to rot out.

scruggs123 10-02-2013 11:01 PM

Flex,

Instead of setting up in 1 location, try multiple. See what the deer are doing and get a climbing stand. You can adjust your areas, sets, height, etc.

delbert 10-03-2013 05:53 AM

I have Been slow to get out too, I need to wash my hunting cloths and get my cross bow out of the closet,
it's going to get cooler next week, should get me going

flexj 10-03-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scruggs123 (Post 100698)
Flex,

Instead of setting up in 1 location, try multiple. See what the deer are doing and get a climbing stand. You can adjust your areas, sets, height, etc.

I do have a climbing stand, but it is pretty much useless around here. Not many trees that will accomodate that kind of setup. I have 5 stands set in the deep timber that are affected by the down limbs/trees. three of those are in a spot that I affectionately call the "honeyhole". That is the spot where on most normal years we kill the most/best deer. Even with those stands out for the year I have now 7 sets on field edges, and right-of-ways. Plenty of opportunities still, but will miss the deep woods hunting experience...:crybaby:

gfdeputy2 10-03-2013 08:19 AM

Flexj
Same issue here Major Logging going on in my honey hole since June going to be there till spring 3 pic's of Doe in 3 months used to get easily 40-50 per night of the nice bucks
been moving cameras all over trying to find them no luck
no sign anywhere around this area

scruggs123 10-03-2013 11:31 AM

What about climbing sticks and a platform stand? I think you can get them fairly cheap at some of the online sporting goods stores.

I have a different issue:

1-I mainly hunt a military base, which is shut down until the government re-opens. I like hunting there since it is convenient and are a lot of deer. Usually kill 1-2 per year. My buddy has 13 acres we will be hunting instead.

2-It is going to be 85 degrees!! That will un-motivate anybody.

delbert 10-03-2013 05:29 PM

The Last woods we logged we cut it back to 12" trees and left the tops
I would get lost in there :wacko:
The deer love it in the old tops

flexj 10-05-2013 10:12 AM

Yeah, while I was down in there it looked like the deer had been cleaning up the acorns already. I'm sure i will still try to sneak down there in the middle of the day a few times for an evening sit, but I will just have to hide in the brush...maybe that will by my opportunity to kill one with the recurve off the ground...

flexj 10-05-2013 10:15 AM

I think I will try to find my gear this afternoon and maybe go out to my backyard stand to sit for a while. We had a cold front move in last night, and the moon seems perfect for some evening deer movement. Hopefully I can remember how to shoot that recurve>>>:)