Set up question - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:18 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Set up question

Guys,

I am beyond stoked for bow season. I have about 2-3 weeks to go before season starts, Oct. 5. In my mind, I can visualize my opening morning set up, etc. I am hunting a military base in VA and, assuming the area I want is open, am going to a spot where I have seen deer about every time out. It is an area tucked between holly trees, a small creek bottom, and field (separated by pines and thick undergrowth. It is very hard to get to in the dark, even though I know the area. This leads to my question:

Would you all recommend heading down the trail in the dark and waiting until it starts to get light to head to the area? Or do you think it better to rummage around in the dark? I have killed 3 deer out of the area and 1 coyote. They usually head through around 8-9 in the morning and 5 at night. Assuming I can get in around 6:45 ish, that will leave me enough time to find a good tree. I have 3 in the area that allow slightly different sets. I now have a GPS, which I will mark. I don't want to risk running through there prior to season opening and alert anything so close to season opening.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013, 10:22 PM
B&C 140 Class

being you have a gps I would get me a trail going thru the thick stuff so I could be there at least 30min. before sun rise. Do it now so it will have time to cool off. also deer are like people they are lazy and will take the path with least resistance.So if you cut a trail they will also use it. most deer will move from just before sun up to around 9-10 Oclock. some will move later in the day but that's a whole nother deal. If I couldn't get into my stand until 8-9 am I would be prepared for a all day sit until dark30
Old 09-15-2013, 10:50 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thanks hellbilly. Make no mistake, it does not need to have trails cut. I did not mean to make it sound like it was not able to be walked through. It is hard to get to in the dark due to some of the terrain (it is between a pinch point that if missed will put you in the middle of the thick stuff) and me being a clumsy oaf. It is an open area of acorns surrounded by just about the most perfect deery area. It just seems it is easier to maneuver and find a good set up when it is starting to get light. You can move a little more freely since you can see and not snap every twig and branch. I am not as worried about the timing of them moving. They run from some real thick stuff from power lines and then come into the area I am setting up in and back throughout the day.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:18 AM
B&C 140 Class

I think you still have time to go in now and if you inadvertently bump deer, they will have plenty of time to get over it. I'd also highly recommend that you buy a pack or three of the reflective thumbtacks so you can mark your trail, making it much easier to follow in the dark. I like to start marking well away from where I might park, as you do not want someone else finding your trail easily. Get 1/4 or 1/3 of the way to your "target" area and then, from there, use the tacks liberally, making sure you face them so you see them walking "in". More than likely you won't ever need them coming out in the dark. Good Luck!