Turkeys anyone??? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:58 PM

Default Turkeys anyone???

Well my deer season is winding down to a close. I went this evening and did not get anything in range. I was riding my 4-wheeler in and drove through a lot of turkeys. I would say their were about 6 that went airborne and another 10 that ran off. I parked my ride and started walking to the field I was going to hunt and ran upon 4 more hens. During the hunt I seen 2 does right at dark about 300 yds away. That was it as far as deer go. After a tough deer season I am looking forward to this new year. I am going to work up some food plots on my brother-in-laws place (hopefully he lets me). On his land I am just trying to get the deer to start using his land a little more often. Its got great deer country right next to it so I am hoping to draw some of those over. I am also looking forward to some turkey hunting. The birds better watch out in my neck of the woods. I am going to be taking my deer hunting frustrations out on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 04:17 PM
B&C 100 Class

Good luck..when dealing with turkeys I'm the one who usually walks away frustated.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:03 AM
B&C 180 Class

looking forward to the spring season myself
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 01-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Scrub Buck

I'm with you....had a frustrating deer season myself. First of all, I only caught the last week and a half based on getting back from Iraq. I've only hunted deer a few times with borrowed gear, however this year I got a new shotgun and hunted for a hard week and a half. The most frustrating was finding a great meadow (three game trails merge into one in a small open meadow just on the south side of a rub line with a nice ridge with cover over it providing both camoflague and some nice sighting and shooting lanes)anyway...after three long mornings and afternoons a nice 6 point buck surprises me by wandering out into the open. I was so surprised I just sat and watched him for a few moments. Once I woke out of my stupor I realized I had to get my gun up and over on him, which took several more seconds of beating heart, acelerated breathing and painfully slow arm movements. Well, by the time I got my gun over he had crossed the meadow and was on the edge of a tree line. A quick mouth bleat probably would have stopped him but, of course I didn't think of it. I lined up what I thought was a good sight picture and fired. Feeling exhausted and giddy at the same time I waited about 15 minutes before approaching what I knew was going to be an easy blood trail to follow to find that.....there's no blood. I searched in concentric circles, went back and resighted from my firing position and then tried to track the trail he took off on.....nothing. You want to talk about FRUSTRATED! I didn't even nick him. The worst part is after the shot, he did a quick scan to see where I was and never saw me - I could have shot again, but was sure he was hit. I went back every afternoon and evening for four days afterwards...nothing.
Well, I'm chalking all that up to being a rookie. I'll get him next time.
Anyway, I've taken my frustration out on ducks and have put eight in the freezer so far with more to come and the turkeys need to watch out too.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:17 PM

Reconxo there's always next season We should chalk this year up as routine training & greater knowledge of whitetails lol
BUT more importantly Welcome Back Home and Thank you for the sacrifices you have made. God Bless you and your family and best wishes for a great 2008

Old 01-09-2008, 08:03 PM
B&C 180 Class

ditto thanks for all that you do.In the future keep shooting till they fall down and dont get up
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 01-09-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
Reconxo there's always next season We should chalk this year up as routine training & greater knowledge of whitetails lol
BUT more importantly Welcome Back Home and Thank you for the sacrifices you have made. God Bless you and your family and best wishes for a great 2008

Right on Bruce
Old 01-09-2008, 11:03 PM

What Bruce said!!!! Good luck during the next season. Now you know if you shoot at a deer and he looks around. You probably didn't hit him.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:46 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconxo View Post
I'm with you....had a frustrating deer season myself. First of all, I only caught the last week and a half based on getting back from Iraq. I've only hunted deer a few times with borrowed gear, however this year I got a new shotgun and hunted for a hard week and a half. The most frustrating was finding a great meadow (three game trails merge into one in a small open meadow just on the south side of a rub line with a nice ridge with cover over it providing both camoflague and some nice sighting and shooting lanes)anyway...after three long mornings and afternoons a nice 6 point buck surprises me by wandering out into the open. I was so surprised I just sat and watched him for a few moments. Once I woke out of my stupor I realized I had to get my gun up and over on him, which took several more seconds of beating heart, acelerated breathing and painfully slow arm movements. Well, by the time I got my gun over he had crossed the meadow and was on the edge of a tree line. A quick mouth bleat probably would have stopped him but, of course I didn't think of it. I lined up what I thought was a good sight picture and fired. Feeling exhausted and giddy at the same time I waited about 15 minutes before approaching what I knew was going to be an easy blood trail to follow to find that.....there's no blood. I searched in concentric circles, went back and resighted from my firing position and then tried to track the trail he took off on.....nothing. You want to talk about FRUSTRATED! I didn't even nick him. The worst part is after the shot, he did a quick scan to see where I was and never saw me - I could have shot again, but was sure he was hit. I went back every afternoon and evening for four days afterwards...nothing.
Well, I'm chalking all that up to being a rookie. I'll get him next time.
Anyway, I've taken my frustration out on ducks and have put eight in the freezer so far with more to come and the turkeys need to watch out too.
Been there, missed a doe the same way. (i found out the scope had been tampered with) even more frustrating for me i hunted well over half the season! but thats how it goes. thats ok, we'll be even more prepared next year and we WILL get em.