Best rifle cleaning solvents? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:22 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Best rifle cleaning solvents?

I've tried lots of solvents over the years, and could never seem to get my bores really shiny clean. Used bronze and nylon brushes, solvents for copper, solvents for powder, combo solvents and nothing seemed to do what I wanted. Last year, a friend recommended Sweet's 7.62. I gave it a try and have been amazed at the results! Anyone else use this stuff, or recommend another?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2007, 04:04 PM
B&C 180 Class

hoppes gold non toxic is amazing you spray it let it sit it get stuff the others leave behind
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-29-2007, 04:17 PM

I use the "bore snake" and it works really well with just about anything. I've been getting into the scented gun oil and bore cleaner lately. Good combo for me.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:01 PM
B&C 180 Class

those snakes are great for a quick cleanup but i still believe in patches/brushes and a rod.i guess its habit.i got a snake for my 12 and i love it but still use the other stuff for a major clean
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-29-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel the signman View Post
those snakes are great for a quick cleanup but i still believe in patches/brushes and a rod.i guess its habit.i got a snake for my 12 and i love it but still use the other stuff for a major clean
Joel what do you recommend to use for a Rem 710 30-06 bolt action, cuz I've been using some this and that stuff but I do hear alot about the Hoppes stuff but I've never seen it around here unless it's right in front of me all the time. If I find it I'd definitely give it a shot with the snake
Old 12-29-2007, 10:56 PM
B&C 180 Class

bolt actions are the easiest to clean just remove thee bolt and run the brush's and patch's with a rod straight thru.one of the best i think is hoppes elite gun cleaner .it comes in wwhite pump bottles with an orange and silver label the spray i got is only 2fl oz's you spray it onlet stand 5 mins then scrub and use patch's .this tuff is awesome.its non toxic,biodegradable,and it doesnt stink up the house.try it you'll love it.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:18 PM
B&C 120 Class

we use boar snakes but just a suggjestion after you claen your rifle i sugjest to shoot it one time before you go hunting because some how ive heard that it wont shoot right after being cleand or something like that
Old 12-30-2007, 10:02 AM
B&C 140 Class

Guys, be careful about just thinking that your guns are clean but not really having them CLEAN! A Boresnake is great to take along when you go hunting, but it won't get all the powder and copper fouling out - not even close. Here's something you might try: get a jar of J-B Non-embedding Bore Cleaning Compound and use it (following directions) after you have cleaned your rifle the usual way. You will be amazed at what still comes out! This is an abrasive cleaner, so you shouldn't use it every time you clean, maybe once or twice a season depending how much you shoot. Also, get a good bore flashlight to inspect your bore, and use it both before and after cleaning to judge the difference.
Also, keep in mind that some rifles are harder to clean than others because some companies don't polish their bores as much as other do. My Remingtons need a lot more cleaning than my Tikka to get them shiny clean.
One final (for now) tip: If you don't want to get solvent all over your stock and into the magazine, first push a clean patch through the barrel from breech to muzzle - this gets any loose fouling out. Leave the rod sticking out of the muzzle and remove the first patch. Then put a new patch on. Wet the new patch with your solvent and draw it back into and through the barrel into the chamber. Swab the barrel as much as you think you need to. Then push the wet dirty patch out of the muzzle and remove the patch. Pull the rod back out of the breech end. Put on a new patch, and run it from breech to muzzle. Repeat the whole sequence until the barrel is clean. When you oil the rifle, run the oiled patch from breech to muzzle. The idea is to never draw dirt and fouling BACK into the rifle - push it all out the muzzle end. It also helps to wipe the rod with a paper towel throughout the process so that fouling insn't getting back into the bore from the rod, itself. Good luck!

Last edited by onehorse; 12-30-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:04 AM

That's some serious info yall provided man I thought the bore snake was the best thing around but I'm definitely considering doing what yall do. This is a good topic!
Old 12-30-2007, 11:12 AM
B&C 120 Class

I agree this is a great topic Ill tell my dad(its wierd saying that lol)