Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   Scents (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/13266-scents.html)

JoshWA1986 08-26-2013 12:13 PM

Scents

Would you guys help me out.

what do you all hunt next to?

EXAMPLE...

Pine trees, maple trees, oak trees, corn fields, alfalfa fields?

need your PROFESSIONAL help!! going to start something up and could also use some help testing..

THANKS!

JoshWA1986 08-26-2013 12:59 PM

Would really appriciate some help!

gfdeputy2 08-26-2013 02:33 PM

well I can tell you I hunt near all of them except alfalfa fields
don't have any around here. I tend to look more for what is growing well & what they are feeding on then the natural scent around me
I dont usually use cover scents just the scent killer

JoshWA1986 08-26-2013 04:02 PM

what if there was a scent that you could use near field you hunt next to.. or the scent of a tree that you have a stand in? J/W instead of just hiding yourself.. why not blend in?

JoshWA1986 08-26-2013 05:07 PM

or seem natural?

Hunting Man 08-26-2013 07:30 PM

I do not use any cover scents, don't need one. I hunt out of pine or hemlock trees and camo myself in with branches from the same kind of tree. Use a spray scent killer and good practices on staying clean and you should be good to go.

on_the_fly 08-26-2013 10:05 PM

I'm the same as the rest, rarely use a cover scent but always use scent killer. Have been known to leave my cloths out on the porch overnights as well sometimes

tator 08-26-2013 10:06 PM

Oaks and Corn... enough said

timberghost 08-26-2013 10:19 PM

I use any kind of scent. Corn, Apple, White Oak Acorn are all good attractants. If they happen to get a whiff they will hang around trying to find the source. I have experimented with scents like that many times. It wont spook them either to smell an apple scent where no apple trees are found or corn scent in thick piney, swamp areas where no corn would be. I always take pine branches from the trees at my house and squish them all up and rub them all over my clothes and even hang them in my jacket strings.

Hellbilly 08-26-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshWA1986 (Post 95370)
what if there was a scent that you could use near field you hunt next to.. or the scent of a tree that you have a stand in? J/W instead of just hiding yourself.. why not blend in?

problem is you will never make a scent that works for all areas. say you make a pine scent for your area it wont work in mine. what I see with them is if the scent aint perfect the deer will know the difference. there nose makes ours look like a rock. That is why I would rather disappear "scent killer" than try to make me smell like something I aint. The most I have done is put my hunting cloths in a bag with fresh pine tree cuttings. Also along with trying to disappear is to mix your camo up. if all your camo you have on is the same pattern your still making a profile. say use mossy oak top and apg pants, etc