Deer Hunting Forums banner

still trying for the 12 pointer.

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Harvgrove 
#1 ·
I have been having an issue with shooting deer, I have got one doe in my life now. But every time I see a doe or spike horn I don't shoot because I want to wait for the big time buck.
Does anybody have some tips for finding the Big guy?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
First off- welcome to the DHC! I'm in North-Central Missouri

I have some suggestions for you- and they all involve doing your homework. Spending time in the field and being patient ALWAYS pays off... eventually. Plus remember, you may not get a big buck every year. I know I haven't. Some years I settle on getting a few does and that's it. I would recommend using trail cameras somewhere around food and water. Get to know the schedule your deer are on and where they are coming/going. Generally speaking, early in the season deer are predictable because they are on a pattern. Later in the season once estrous and the rut start, that's when it's more difficult. Always be on the look out for good spots for your stand and make sure you put the time in the field to get the outcome you want.

Welcome again, you'll like it here!

#3 ·
One thing, you have to have big bucks in your area to start with. Second thing with big bucks they didn't get that way being stupid. Scent control is giant. I do prefer to hunt the rut as the big guys are out looking for the ladies and can be seen in daylight hours. In pre-rut find the buck travel routes by locating rub lines. The rub side of the tree will show you the actual travel pattern he is using, that's how I buck hunt. In rut, I look for the rub lines and scrape lines and then look for natural land funnels that push the bucks into your trap naturally. Late season I'm looking for sunny bedding areas and food sources and snow traveled routes. Simple? sometimes, sometimes not. Looking for a giant buck could prove to be a major downfall to your success. Shooting a mature buck for your area is and should be your first concern. Once you have a couple of decent bucks then your woods wisdom will increase and then you start the chess game. After 41 seasons I still have not shot a giant buck, in fact my son has already harvested two real nice bucks by hunting in an area that can grow the big guys. There's nothing wrong with being content with a mature buck, in fact 90% of all hunters would be very happy to achieve that.

#4 ·
I hate to tell ya, But I and a lot of others have been hunting for many years and have yet to even see much less harvest a 12pt. Id have to say your in for a long and boring hunting life if that what your waiting on. Im 47 y/o and have been hunting from about the age of 15 and the biggest rack I have harvested is a 65" 6pt. I have seen bigger while hunting, But did not have a clean shot so had the watch them walk. One day Im sure Ill get a 8pt or bigger if GOD choices so for me,but if that's all I waited for Id be in for a long wait. So basicly is what Im trying to say is you may wanna re-think your plans

#5 ·
the big boy's

:useless:When I was young and stupid every hunting season and I mean "every" season from my age of 13 until 18 when work was only found elsewhere. I would see and hear about at least 3 or 4 bucks a year in that range being taken out of the area I hunted. This area was no more then a 1.000 acres. It was along a large river with acres of corn fields lining the river. It was somewhat hilly with alot of funnels. The trees where a mixture of white and brown Oak, Birch, Maple, Ash, Spruce, and Beech. I never took 1 buck out of that area. It wasn't until going back years later that I was blessed with success. The hunt is the 12 pointer. You my be doing very good for your terrain. Don't give up or beet yourself up for doing what you love to do. Fish tails are called deer tails in our business. If it's to good and wasn't witnessed by you its probably not true. Have fun be safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.