scent neutralizer - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Scrub Buck

Default scent neutralizer

Does anyone know the ingredients or have a recipe for making scent neutralizer? Heard it was just baking soda and water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2007, 09:28 PM
B&C 180 Class

a few more than that i have i that works ill look for it
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Scrub Buck

Thanks for the response. Someone at work told me that it had hydrogen peroxide in it also.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:52 PM

I heard the same thing, like peroxide was the main ingredient or something.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:35 PM
B&C 160 Class

If you go here Big B has the recipe posted
Homemade scent neutralizer - Catfish1.com
Old 12-13-2007, 06:09 PM
B&C 180 Class

heres mine and i know it works the batch will last all season.2qts distilled water,1qt hydrogen peroxide,1/2 cup baking soda,1 oz no scent soap.Mix until soda is dissolved. very Important!!!!!!!! stir and let set in an open container/bottle for a few days to let the chemical reaction dissipate.stir daily.when you put into the permanent container,leave a little space in case of latent chemical reaction.All it does is give off gas and expand the bottle.store in a container that doesnt let light in.Do not store in a clear container.Hydrogen peroxide will loose its properties with exposed to light for entened periods,thats why it comes in brown bottles.I used 2 1 gallon milk jugs in dark plastic bags,this will bubble and foam so be prepared for some mess.the only down side is it leaves a harmless white residue on everything but it comes right off..
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 04-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Unregistered

Default Home Made Scent Neutralizer

o 1/2 cup Baking soda
o 2 cups Distilled water
o 1oz Unscented shampoo
o 2 cups 3% Hydrogen peroxide
Mix ingredients in a large bowl (gently) until the baking soda dissolves.
Pour in a clean container that has a lid. (I use a gatorade bottle)
Leave the lid cracked 3-4 days because this concoction creates gases that need to escape.
Then I put mine in a spray bottle with a bubble stone on the bottom of the tube to keep the baking soda from clogging up the nozzle. It doesn't seem to dissolve all of the way.
If you prefer this solution can be used with heavy duty paper towels and placed in a ziploc bag or a baby wipe box. Make sure to let it soak in, then pour out excess liquid.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:40 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel the signman View Post
heres mine and i know it works the batch will last all season.2qts distilled water,1qt hydrogen peroxide,1/2 cup baking soda,1 oz no scent soap.Mix until soda is dissolved. very Important!!!!!!!! stir and let set in an open container/bottle for a few days to let the chemical reaction dissipate.stir daily.when you put into the permanent container,leave a little space in case of latent chemical reaction.All it does is give off gas and expand the bottle.store in a container that doesnt let light in.Do not store in a clear container.Hydrogen peroxide will loose its properties with exposed to light for entened periods,thats why it comes in brown bottles.I used 2 1 gallon milk jugs in dark plastic bags,this will bubble and foam so be prepared for some mess.the only down side is it leaves a harmless white residue on everything but it comes right off..
Cool!!! I'll have to try out your "recipe" this fall and let you know how it works.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:37 AM

sounds good but for me seems easier & price about the same to just go to wally world & buy a bottle of wildlife reseach's scent killer.
that much Hydrogen peroxide seems to me would stain your clothes I could be wrong I have been before

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 04-27-2011, 08:06 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdeputy2 View Post
sounds good but for me seems easier & price about the same to just go to wally world & buy a bottle of wildlife reseach's scent killer.
that much Hydrogen peroxide seems to me would stain your clothes I could be wrong I have been before

I agree... I always buy my scent blocker stuff when wally world puts it on sale about a month after deer season (late jan). They usually have the BIG bottle with 2 smaller bottles attached on sale for like $5. I stock up then. I also stocked up on Buck bombs. Those are typically around $10 a can but once again, wal-mart had them for $4 a can, so I bought about 5 of them.