what do you all think about this situation - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Scrub Buck

Default I Hear Ya!!!

Seems that po;iticians across the country are all the same... Regardless of what you do, you will never get in there... At best, you'll get them to stop, but that's about it. Been through this a few times in a couple of places.. the runaround you get will give you an ulcer.
I hunted in an even worse place this year. A greedy lunatic land owner that has hundreds of acres adjoining a small parcel I had permission to hunt on even went as far as re-posting his land, right down the middle of the place I was hunting, calling the DEC and state police and turning me in for an "untagged deer" NOT... I tucked the tag inside the ear so he couldn't see it! Why did he do this? 1. hes a screwball 2. he watched the eight pointer I shot all summer and decided that it was "his" and was really pissed off when I shot it (totally legal) on the only piece of ground he couldn't hunt on!
Find a small parcel that borders that property and plan your hunt well and you can get one of those big boys too! All you need is a couple of acres to sit on... deer walk... they aren't stuck to the ground. It's not impossible, just harder to do!

Last edited by thundergod; 12-18-2007 at 04:34 PM. Reason: I forgot to say some stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
Seems that po;iticians across the country are all the same... Regardless of what you do, you will never get in there... At best, you'll get them to stop, but that's about it. Been through this a few times in a couple of places.. the runaround you get will give you an ulcer.
Yes as an individual they'll eat you alive That's why I suggested contacting his local and state hunting clubs/organizations,,, there's strength in numbers... we alone can't fight and win the battle but if we're backed by groups and organizations, our voices will be heard and maybe changes will be made...

Old 12-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Scrub Buck

A bunch of years back there was a large tract on Long Island previously owned by Grumman (abandoned when they got bought by Northrop) The deer were fenced in and multiplying like crazy. Our club tried to gain access to thin the herd. Was told NEVER. (but they were going to open the fence and let the deer go (into a pretty much urban area). Another group suggested a disabled hunter access. Days before it was to be held, someone stopped that too! We ran into the same thing at a local large state park where there were nearly as many deer as there were trees! But they hired an out of state "hunter" to do what we would have done for free!
'Dont know what happened after that (I moved) but I'll bet it was just as nutty!!
Old 12-18-2007, 04:49 PM
B&C 180 Class

sounds like your a NY'er where ya at now?im actually gonna hunt LI this year cuz i missed the last 3 weeks.the hunts go till jan 30
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Scrub Buck

Signman... I'm up a bit West of Albany (Montgomery Cty). Hunted LI all my life 'till 8yrs ago when I moved up here. You hunting the co-op lottery ? I'ts a pain in the neck to get all the paperwork in but you get a pretty good chance at a good spot if you research it right. 'Used to live a couple of miles East of the Ridge co-op station. There are plenty of deer there but its really thick. Even though they only give you a limited time in the woods, I'd pick a spot and get up in a treestand otherwise, you can walk right by them and never see a thing! We hunted Montauk Pt one yr and had that happen (but we did get to watch a bunch of big seals on the rocks)
I sort of bounce around all over NYS now and have taken and seen lots of good deer. (and turkey) Anyhow, GOOD LUCK
Old 12-22-2007, 07:48 PM
B&C 120 Class

well the way I see it is that ya got three options join the sewer company or, just petion petion petion the wazzodles out of the Ohio fish and game, people or well go and have a meeting with them and see if you can arange some kinda agrepent

none of em cept the first one are 100% gonna get you on that land but you might as well try em
Old 12-23-2007, 12:36 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergod View Post
Signman... I'm up a bit West of Albany (Montgomery Cty). Hunted LI all my life 'till 8yrs ago when I moved up here. You hunting the co-op lottery ? I'ts a pain in the neck to get all the paperwork in but you get a pretty good chance at a good spot if you research it right. 'Used to live a couple of miles East of the Ridge co-op station. There are plenty of deer there but its really thick. Even though they only give you a limited time in the woods, I'd pick a spot and get up in a treestand otherwise, you can walk right by them and never see a thing! We hunted Montauk Pt one yr and had that happen (but we did get to watch a bunch of big seals on the rocks)
I sort of bounce around all over NYS now and have taken and seen lots of good deer. (and turkey) Anyhow, GOOD LUCK
yeah doing the co-op thing.i kinds messed up and didnt get in on time so now i have to call to see if people cancelled .im home during the week so hopefully ill get lucky any spots you can recommend would be great.I bounc all over the state too .us Ny ers are lucky cuz the states so big and theres plenty of public land and access .Im gonna do a steel head trip in JAN
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Scrub Buck

Signman... Try to get a spot close to the co-op HQ... Everyone trys to get as far away as possible. There are lots of deer everywhere. Also try to get private permission... there was a nursery a couple of bloks west of the HQ that had plenty of deer and was not hunted much in the past few years.
I miss LI pizza and striper fishing the most. Otherwise, I pretty much stopped hunting there because of the ticks.
Good Luck
Old 12-27-2007, 11:14 PM
B&C 180 Class

thaks for the tips. if ya every want to go striper fishing let me know ill go i still got all my surf gear.or we can hit a party boat.Still waiting for my permits
Old 12-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Scrub Buck

signman, Don't feel bad... first time in a really long time I didn't fill my doe permit. Took an eight point first day and couldn't buy a doe, no matter what I tried. Well, there's only a few months 'till spring turkey season anyway..,
Never cared for party boats. Don't know when I'll be down there next, but my best striper and bluefish spot is approximately 200 yds west of the west side of the shinnecock inlet jetty, usually best if the western sky turns purple at dusk (never figured that one out, but it just works that way). Use bunker chunks on a slip sinker with a stop on the line about two feet up from the hook. I usually start getting busy pretty soon and won't be on here much 'till fall... Im at fishnhunt1@hotmail.com if you need anything in the summer.
Keep your line tight and your sights straight! Happy New Year!