Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   Mineral blocks (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/11978-mineral-blocks.html)

spiker 06-12-2013 10:06 PM

Mineral blocks

Put out 6 of the trace mineral blocks from tractor supply.I like to think im helping the does and fawns.I do get alot of pics of them using them anybody else do the same?

Hellbilly 06-12-2013 11:51 PM

yep. have 2 of them in NC and just started another in Ga.

gfdeputy2 06-13-2013 05:08 AM

had a couple out last year deer used it very little

tator 06-13-2013 11:31 PM

what I do is dig up an area about 6'x6' and put down a 40lb bag of mineral salt and a 40lb bag of stock salt. Then I mix it up with the dirt really well. I also try to refresh it before a small shower is about to come. That way it mixes with the dirt well. The blocks work well, but I found if you already have an established mineral lick area (like what I discribed above) they work especially well if you place it when the lick area needs refreshing. I also have learned DO NOT change mineral locations. Once you have an area established, keep it and keep it going by refreshing it. I think they say you only need one mineral lick per 100 acres. Of course if your deer population is heavy you can adjust this.

spiker 06-24-2013 12:16 PM

Well was at cabin and checked the cameras their hitting them mineral licks.The best part of the tractor supply ones is the price.Got pics of them licking them esp by my pond so happy with the results.

tomlightfield 06-25-2013 11:35 AM

I found an article a couple years ago about mixing up your own mineral batch, sounds like what Tator is using except this formula was 1 part di-calcium phosphate, 1 part stock salt, and 2 parts trace mineral. Dug up the ground like Tator also, then mixed the mineral in thoroughly and had some action in it, but just about all at night. The one deer that I did see in daylight walked up to it, sniffed it, then just calmly walked away. But you could see that they were eating the dirt with the mineral in it, the whole area ended up about 4" lower than the surrounding ground. I live too far from this area to tend to it properly or I think it would work well.

tator 06-25-2013 12:01 PM

The only problem I face with the di-cal phosphate is that I can't find it here. Our local MFA doesn't sell it and we have a couple farm and home stores that don't sell it either. ?? I have found that this mineral lick is definately something they visit in the night, but it gets them used to and comfortable with the area.

Hunting Man 06-25-2013 12:28 PM

When I still had my cabin I put out two red trace mineral lick sites. These were destroyed by deer. I believe the red trace stuff has some molassas (spell)? in it to sweeten it up for cattle. It also has other minerals. Blending in some sugarbeet crush with red trace might be something worth trying. Last year we found deer hit the sugar beet crush the same night we put it out and ate everything with-in two days. This is one product I know works.

tomlightfield 06-26-2013 09:02 AM

Darrell, what exactly is sugar beet crush?? Getting back to the mineral lick formula, the stock salt and mineral trace salt are the attractants, the di-cal is the most important ingredient for antler growth. I'm reading that this is why the minerals are mixed into the salt, they say once the minerals are in the ground they have no attracting properties on their own, the salt is the attractant. This is what I'm reading in several articles.

Hunting Man 06-26-2013 06:31 PM

TLF, sugar beet crush is marketed as an attractant. It is made up of sugar beets into a red/orange powder. Not sure what else is in it. Really sweet, yup I tasted it. Lee and Tiffany have their names on the package. The stuff really works.