Ticks - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:28 AM

Default Ticks

As most of you know ticks are one of my biggest fears in hunting. I called my buddy in PA yesterday to check in. He had just got over another outbreak of Lyme disease. Once you get it it stays in your system and can come out anytime your immune system is weak. His doctor told him to use a dry wash towel and rub his skin to remove the larva every time he goes outdoors. These pepper sized little monsters can transmit Lyme disease just like their adult ticks. PA has become so overrun with ticks I'm scared to go there anymore. It's hard to describe how the area has changed over the 40 years that I've been hunting there but I never thought a tiny little bug would become a major problem. We run into pretty heavy concentrations in October archery season, I can't imagine what the summer time is like. I use to cut firewood in the summer but I don't know if it's worth the chance of getting the Lyme disease. I have all the clothing sprays and maybe will take antibiotics prior to heading there, sound advice from my vet.....
Old 06-11-2013, 12:47 PM

starting to get bad even up here in NH
was covered this year youth & opening weekend of turkey season even with all the spray
I picked up Sawyer Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent
had one tick on me the rest of the season & he died climbing up my pant leg
I will be using this stuff from now on

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 06-11-2013, 08:35 PM

GFD2 same stuff I use. Deer don't seem to smell it either.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:18 PM
B&C 180 Class

I've heard the ticks are bad here in Mo as well,,, but I have only picked one off me this year so far- and that was while I was in the garden. I went out to check a trail cam yesterday that was in an area over grown and didn't have one on me the whole time. I was surprised. My wife's uncle told me that a neat trick he heard about really works.. if you have one on you that is attached, take a cotton swab or q-tip and put some Dawn dish soap on it then dab the area the tick is in. In just a few moments the tick will release and attach to the cotton of the swab or q-tip. He thought it was a hoax but he said it worked great.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:25 AM

Tator I have heard of that but never tried it
as much as I hate to say it I think we need a good Old fashion Cold as heck winter here Ticks are getting worse the last few years & up to about 6 years ago I never saw one up here

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 06-12-2013, 07:08 AM

Ticks are becoming huge problems in many areas now, all we can do is use products like Permethrin to help protect us on our hunts and outdoor outings.
Another thing I think would help is if Homeowners begin the practice of treating their lawns with products like Diazinon, Sevin, Spectracide or triazicide or one of the many other bug/insect killers available, especially if they have pets.
We had two Yorkies in Florida, after letting them outdoors just a couple times both got ticks on them, The Vet suggested treating our lawn which I did and only had one more tick show up over the course of 4 months,
the Vet then suggested switching between products as some of those pesky bugs/insects can become tolerant to the treatments after that we never had another tick on our dogs thanks to the Vets advice.