Deer Hunting Forums banner

Ticks

7K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  3212 
#1 ·
As most of you know ticks are one of my biggest fears in hunting. I called my buddy in PA yesterday to check in. He had just got over another outbreak of Lyme disease. Once you get it it stays in your system and can come out anytime your immune system is weak. His doctor told him to use a dry wash towel and rub his skin to remove the larva every time he goes outdoors. These pepper sized little monsters can transmit Lyme disease just like their adult ticks. PA has become so overrun with ticks I'm scared to go there anymore. It's hard to describe how the area has changed over the 40 years that I've been hunting there but I never thought a tiny little bug would become a major problem. We run into pretty heavy concentrations in October archery season, I can't imagine what the summer time is like. I use to cut firewood in the summer but I don't know if it's worth the chance of getting the Lyme disease. :crybaby:I have all the clothing sprays and maybe will take antibiotics prior to heading there, sound advice from my vet.....

#2 ·
starting to get bad even up here in NH
was covered this year youth & opening weekend of turkey season even with all the spray
I picked up Sawyer Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent
had one tick on me the rest of the season & he died climbing up my pant leg
I will be using this stuff from now on

#4 ·
I've heard the ticks are bad here in Mo as well,,, but I have only picked one off me this year so far- and that was while I was in the garden. I went out to check a trail cam yesterday that was in an area over grown and didn't have one on me the whole time. I was surprised. My wife's uncle told me that a neat trick he heard about really works.. if you have one on you that is attached, take a cotton swab or q-tip and put some Dawn dish soap on it then dab the area the tick is in. In just a few moments the tick will release and attach to the cotton of the swab or q-tip. He thought it was a hoax but he said it worked great.

#5 ·
Tator I have heard of that but never tried it
as much as I hate to say it I think we need a good Old fashion Cold as heck winter here Ticks are getting worse the last few years & up to about 6 years ago I never saw one up here

#6 ·
Ticks are becoming huge problems in many areas now, all we can do is use products like Permethrin to help protect us on our hunts and outdoor outings.
Another thing I think would help is if Homeowners begin the practice of treating their lawns with products like Diazinon, Sevin, Spectracide or triazicide or one of the many other bug/insect killers available, especially if they have pets.
We had two Yorkies in Florida, after letting them outdoors just a couple times both got ticks on them, The Vet suggested treating our lawn which I did and only had one more tick show up over the course of 4 months,
the Vet then suggested switching between products as some of those pesky bugs/insects can become tolerant to the treatments after that we never had another tick on our dogs thanks to the Vets advice.

#7 ·
There was a post awhile back about "Frontline For Humans", I don't recall who started it, but I posted then about my sucess with Sawyer's. It is by far the most effective stuff for keeping ticks off. I especially like the fact that you apply it on your clothing rather than on your skin. Plus they claim it will survive 6 washings, I don't know about that, but it seemed to still work for me after 2 washings.

#8 ·
My PA buddy thought he had the disease about 3-4 months before they figured it out, now more likely 3-4 years in his system. When he gets an outbreak he says it's like dying. His wife and dog also got it last summer but was caught soon enough that the antibiotics knocked it out for them with no outbreaks so far. Even with the Sawyer product I get them crawling on me at times. I'm gonna see if my Doc will pre-treat me with Doxycycline (spell?) prior to going this fall. We may see states finally try to do something to erradicate them as medical costs are starting to climb in many states, in fact it was just on the national news, well Fox news, which is the only news I watch!!!!!! :wink:

#9 ·
in fact it was just on the national news, well Fox news, which is the only news I watch!!!!!! :wink:
HM Fox is the only news the rest are more like the national enquirer

#16 ·
Per my post in the campfire--- I got attacked by killer horseflies tonight. Well maybe not killer,, but still, they would not leave me alone. I loathe horseflies.

Order of hatred:
1. Ticks
2. wasps/hornets/bees
3. horseflies
4. mosquitos

#17 ·
I hadn't realized how bad things have gotten back there in the east. When I lived there over twenty years ago and handled LOTS of deer in my taxidermy business, it was rare to find an animal with ticks in its fur. Unfortunately, they are also fairly common here in Montana.
One thing I used to do with any animal that had critters crawling around on its skin (especially coyotes) was to skin it immediately and as quickly as possible, put the hide in a plastic bag, and freeze it. Then when I wanted to work on the skin, I wouldn't have to worry about those insects.
Anyway, hope you guys stay safe and healthy.

#23 ·
Where is the Sawyers at? In the camping aisle?

Also- dumb Q... did thermacells used to be high priced? I was thinking they were around $50+ but I saw them at BP for around $20
$20 is right. you can get some that are higher in camo and have a flash light on it. Make sure you get a holster for it. has pouches to keep extra fuel and pads. the strap is great for being able to strap it to treestand or a branch. keeps it from falling.

#24 ·
X2 on the holster Yes the price has come down in the past couple years
Sawyers is in the camping isle usually by the rest of the bug spray
make sure you read the directions spray & let dry for 24-48 hours

#25 · (Edited)
As far as removing ticks,I think liquid soap or vaseline cuts off oxygen and forces the tick to back out to get air.I agree that we need an eradication program.This is not a hunters issue,it is a human health issue.People whose only outdoor exposure is their backyard or local park are contracting it.In this county(Lancaster) the Lyme cases have tripled since last year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.