Constructing an effective Mock Scrape. - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Constructing an effective Mock Scrape.

A very effective way of attracting Whitetail Bucks to your hunting area is by creating Mock Scrapes. You can use a Bucks natural instinct to mark and defend its territory to your advantage. Whitetails bucks cruise along their core territory sampling the air for the scent of intruder bucks during the mating season. When they discover another bucks scrape they will add thier own scent to it to let all the other bucks know "this is my territory so stay out".

Here is how to build a mock scrape.

Supplies Needed:
Latex or vinyl gloves.
A stick or rake.
Rubber Boots
Scent Lock Suit (or completely descent your clothing).

Find a well used deer trail near a vegtation transition edge. The edge may be a pine forest to hardwood transition, clear cut to low hanging tree and old logging road or somehting as simple as flat ridge top. Whitetail bucks will almost always select and are to make thier scrape that has a low haning limb directly over the slected spot. They use this limb to chew on and rub thier forehead gland on to leave scent. The branch should be about 3 feet from the ground. Using a stick or rake (don't use your boots or hands) dig away the leaves, exposing the ground in an area about two feet square. Pour in some Code Blue Attraction Buck Urine to activate the scrape. (Best kept secret in the scent business.)

...read the full guide with pics here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2007, 04:09 PM
B&C 100 Class

How far apart would you put these mock scrapes??? and do you do it to ensure steady traffic by a mature buck or keep him in the area deffending his territory? i am just asking because this is a topic that i have not madeup my mind about. i do use doe estrus and sents but have never gone through the steps of making a mock scrape mostly because i didn't know how or where to do it but now i do.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:37 AM
B&C 120 Class

Good posting.This tactic has also worked for me. If I find a scrap within 100 yards of my tree stand then I plant a mock scrap. I take it one step further and install a scent dripper 5-6 ft above the mock scrap and place some Lick and Stik on the overhanging branch. The set up last about a week. I have induced new scrapes with this set up. I have never shot a deer at a scrap but the setup keeps there interest in the area so you got the right place...now it's waiting for the right time.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:06 PM
B&C 180 Class

ive made my own with the scent dripper and similar techniques while ive also never bagged one over the scape they do get visited as evidenced by track marks
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-04-2007, 03:14 PM

I had the same result early November. I only seen a small 8 pt but there was evidence of a larger buck in the area. I used 2 scent drippers on 2 natural scrapes that were only 15 yds apart. After awhile the scrapes turned into craters from what appeared to be many deer tearing the area up. There were a hundful of spikes and 4's trotting around all the time but the big guy never appeared. Other hunters in the area said they've seen a huge 10pt running the area but as far as I know nobody got him yet.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:35 PM
B&C 180 Class

ya still got late bow and BP to get em timberghost
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky