Food - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Food

Hey guys! I have a question. I put some corn and mineral block out about a week ago in a place where I can see it from my deer stand. Than I left the place alone for 3 days before the season started. I've been hunting out there for a few days now and I haven't seen anything. Plus it doesn't look like the corn or the block have been touched. Does this mean that there aren't any deer passing that way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2007, 03:29 PM

I've done that with blocks and stuff in the past and had the same results. There was deer sign everywhere too. Maybe there's a preferred food source in the area in which the deer are to busy to key in on your stuff. Is there any corn, soybean, or acorn crops any where near there? How about snow cover?
Old 12-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Scrub Buck

No there really aren't any crops of any kind near that I know of. There isn't any snow on the ground at all. I just haven't seen any deer at all. The only time I've seen anything where I'm hunting was on thanksgiving when I hung my stand. Otherwise there has been nothing.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:35 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Better next year

Mineral blocks never seem to work that well when first put out. Salt licks and mineral blocks are items that should be placed in an area you are going to hunt WAY before season. The block is super concentrated and I have rarely seen deer use 'em like that. However, if you put them out long before season (like in spring or summer) the minerals will wash into the soil and be less concentrated. That is when most deer will start to use the area. They will lick/eat the dirt to absorb much of the mineral.

Also, as stated above, if there is a preferred food source abundant in the area, it wont matter what you put out.