bad hunting partners - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:08 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default bad hunting partners

Heres my problem. Iv been hunting this area with my friend (the owner) and everythings been going fine. But his brother-in-law found out and wants to go with us. This normally wouldnt be a problem BUT we are using his feeder and he built the blind, so I feel obligated to let him go with us. Now heres the kicker. Casey (the brother-in-law) is very impatient, cant sit still or be quiet, and is exceedingly unsafe to hunt with. I mean I am actually afraid for my life hunting with this guy. So what do I do? He is a good friend but a horrible hunter. Help me out here guys, any of you had hunting partners like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2007, 02:04 PM
B&C 180 Class

i would explain to the owner your feelings about safety.ifor one dont want to get shot by some idiot for a deer
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-01-2007, 08:19 PM

yeah thats a tough situation. If you said something you may make them mad enough to tell you that you cant hunt it anymore. If hes that impatient maybe he will give up hunting soon. Hopefully he can be taught what he is doing wrong. Until then set up 122002030 miles from him so you dont get shot. Like joel said it aint worth getting shot.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:56 PM

Safety first, tell them straight out and the worst is you lose out on a hunting spot and maybe friends. BUT YOU LIVE FOR ANOTHER DAY FOR ANOTHER SPOT TO MAKE OTHER FRIENDS. Life's full of risks as it is don't make a season of deer hunting be an unnecessary risk. Remember you said that you fear for your life when you hunt with him.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:38 PM
B&C 100 Class

Yea this guys a good friend Iv known him a long time, just not the smartest guy you'll ever come across. He and the owner of the place were huntin and after like 3-4 hours of waiting and not seeing anything a armadillo came across them and he shot it, wasted the whole morning. When the owner asked hime why he shot it he replied "they tear up peoples yards" and they were about 15 miles from the nearest house. I got lucky this weekend, his wife wouldnt let him go so I didnt have to dodge that bullet (no pun intended). Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:57 PM
B&C 100 Class

Well Iv had it with this guy. I went out there the other day and when i got there the feeder was gone. aparently it has been gone for a while because theres not a track on the property within a mile of the stand. i havent been ther for over a week because iv been sick and all. he didnt even tell the owner or me! we (the owner and i) had permision to use the stand and feeder so he could have at least told someone, hell the ownere didnt even know! he just took it without saying a word with like 3 weeks left in the season!
aparently he was mad because the owner was using his gun that he keept at the owners house. hell i figure if ur hunting someone property (for free) and storing you gun/equipment at thier house the least you could do is let them use ur gun. he cant take care of his gun anyway, the owner has fixed it countles times. but iv washed my hands of this hunting disaster. my sister has several acres of great hunting grounds, half the driving time too! i just got the ok to hunt there because they were leting some friends hunt it but they got thier limit already so its all mine!! thanks for leting me vent, this is much better than killing the guy like i wanted to at first.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:19 AM
B&C 180 Class

like the old saying"God never closes a door without opening a window" looks like your better off.besides its hard to deer hunt from the "big house"
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 12-31-2007, 02:28 PM
B&C 120 Class

um...id be scared also maby take him to the shootin targets and hsve a moving deerdecoy if he shoots it walk up and explain to him why you are afraid or dont wwont to hunt with him if hes a real friend he ll understand (lol He ll sit under the stand jk) but he'll understand and if hes a real friend he might say he'lL work on it or you might lose a huntin buddy but once 'gain if hes a real friend you wont lose just a buddy
Old 12-31-2007, 05:51 PM
B&C 180 Class

i think you gave him enough chances any one whos that petty and unsafe you dont need around.i would also try to stay friends with the property owner and explain the situation and that it was the other guy and not you and you had nothing to do with it.i dont know if you pay to hunt or its a friendly arrangement but i would make sure hes not soured against hunters.maybe offer to help or something.even though you have another spot its still a good idea
Old 01-01-2008, 06:53 PM
B&C 100 Class

yea the land owner and i are still good friends, we already plan to do some work on his land after the season ends but casey wont be alowed to use it. the land owner is prety much done with him coming out there but i have free access to both spots.