Help Scouting New Land - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-2013, 12:45 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Help Scouting New Land

Hi everyone, I am new here and somewhat new to deer hunting as well. Until now, most of my deer hunting has either been over foot plots or on very small tracts of land that only had a couple possible stand locations.

This coming season, myself and my hunting buddy have secured permission to bowhunt land owned by our school (we are both graduate students). The land is primarily used for biology research and we are told there is a pretty significant deer population, however the terrain is far from ideal.

We are going to be heading out to the land in early June to scout and hang treestands and cameras. We were hoping that some of you could help us out with terrain features that we should be focused on so that we can concentrate our scouting efforts and leave as little scent in the woods as possible. Scouting a brand new, large tract of land (it is about 300 acres total) is something totally new to both of us, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached is a topo map of the area with some rough property lines drawn in, for the areas not bordered in red, the river is the property line. Thanks again for any help, it is much appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASU Research Property Topo 1--Rough Borders.jpg (19.3 KB, 8 views)