How many tree stands do you use? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:51 PM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
Man Buckshot go get some help man! NAH, JUST KIDDING. I think the more the better because you can play the wind easier with more options. But then again you don't want to over hunt any area. I have 2 hangers that looked to be in great locations back in September but lost value with the extreme hunting pressure, we're talking hunters convention man. But I usually put all my trust in the old Summit climber which is an awesome climber stand. It allows me to go into some unreachable areas good to get away from most hunting pressure. But there's this one 15 ft ladder stand out in a large scrub field near a creek that must've been abandoned cuz I can come and go at will in that stand. With a South wind this stand is awesome, I haven't seen a big buck but many small ones and alot of doe groups only with that South wind.
That's what I have found is that some stands are better for some winds than others. I have a favorite ladder stand that I have taken two deer out of this year that is good for any wind but a South wind. If I hunt it with a south wind deer are spooked like crazy, but I can take a portable in just 75 yards away and hunt the same piece of woods and have deer all under me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2007, 03:45 PM
B&C 120 Class

I use 12 tree stands in 4 different spots. Most are ladder stands. I do alot of scouting before I settle on a spot for a ladder stand as they are alot of work to relocate. I would like to buy a Summit climber and use that in various spots. I am addicted to tree stand hunting...both gun and bow.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:34 AM

Sounds like its working for you Buckshot. You ever make it up to the Franklin County area? I hunt sherwood in Franklin County and Lynchburg in Moore county TN. I am not to far from you.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:50 AM

Rozman62 you won't be disappointed with a summit climber.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:15 PM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfever View Post
Sounds like its working for you Buckshot. You ever make it up to the Franklin County area? I hunt sherwood in Franklin County and Lynchburg in Moore county TN. I am not to far from you.
Used to hunt Sherwood and spent alot of time up at Jump off at Tom Pack hollow, if you know where that is, but that's been 25 years ago. Back in the mid seventies we hunted Carter mountain when TWRA had it before it when private. Back then it was one of the few places you could actually see deer.

The only mountain hunting I get these days is Cagle mountain above Dunlap. Me and the wife are headed up there to deer camp Sunday to hunt a few days of MZ.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:21 PM

Cool. Carter mountain has produced some decent deer for sometime now. Was sherwood tough hunting for you? It has been for us lately.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:27 PM
B&C 160 Class

Sherwood was always tough. We killed some nice deer now and then but we were always on the side of the mountain and it was an all day or all night job getting them out. So physically it was very tough where we hunted.

Have you been out to the new land TWRA bought on Carter I think they call it walls of Jericho?
Old 12-02-2007, 07:55 AM

No sir the last 2 years i have only hunted sherwood and lynchburg. Your right on about sherwood. If your hunting by yourself and get a deer you always have to come out and get some help to get the deer out.