Box Stands - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:52 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Box Stands

first off hello to everyone i am new to the site and am happy to have a place were i can get help with my hunting techniques. does any one have a design or know where to get one for a box stand that sits about 10'-12' off of the ground. i have permission to build them but the catch is that i have to build them to sit 2 because the owner of the land wants to be able to take his daughter and he wants them atleast 10' off of the ground. thanks in addvance andlook forward to talking with you guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2007, 04:20 PM

Hey TNHunter welcome to the site. Greetings from WNY. Sorry I don't have the slightest idea of a box stand cuz I never used one. The only thing that I could suggest is to look at cabelas or basspros or a similar site and check out their box blinds. Perhaps you can get an idea off of them. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:22 PM
B&C 100 Class

thanx for the reply. i would love to build it myself. it would give me another reason to be out of the house and in the woods.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:07 PM
B&C 180 Class

i have seen at gander mt they sell a kit with leg holders and.I know they are for box blinds check them out or one of the other guys.Do you have access to power tools and are you handy cuz its a lot of work.you also got to figure out how to get the blind up into the air.good luck let us know how ya make outt.On our property we build platform stands i can help ya with that if ya want
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-26-2007, 06:52 PM
B&C 100 Class

i have lots of tool a 9 piece dewalt set and a gas air commpressor if needed and i know i could build one i was just trying to get some design tips from people that have already built them so i don't get finnished and wish that i had done something different.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:00 PM
B&C 180 Class

like i said only platform experience here.are ya gona attach to the tree or have it freestanding?
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-26-2007, 07:06 PM
B&C 100 Class

free standing. really my "problem" is with how i would get in to the stand. i personaly would't mind just a ladder up one of the legs and a hole in the side of the stand but several of the other guys want me to just put a set of stairs......they all want to tell me how to build one but don't want to help.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Scrub Buck

Smile

Build it 5" square and frame it out of 2x2's and cover with 1/2" treated plywood, I would make the floor joice out of 2x6. Then band the floor with 2x6 and use 4x4 for the legs. brace legs as needed.
To stand up,lay out the leg holes in the ground and start two of the legs in the egde of the holes and start up with the stand with enough buddy's or place a pulley in a nearby tree and pull up with tractor or truck. either way when you get the box to the breaking point the legs will fall into the hole by themselves. just be careful and go slow.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:22 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thank you for the tip. i was kida leaning twards that idea of putting it up i just didn't know if it would work. but now that i know it can be done i will do it that way and what are your thoughts on roofing? i was thinking of a rubberized type of corrigated stuff called ondura that lowes carries. it would be easy and light and durrable. if someone has any other ideas i would love to hear them!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 11:17 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default Build One

I would definately build one because it will be much cheaper and you will have what you want and not just be settling for what you can buy. I hunt out of 2 box stands. One is about 25ft tall at the windows, and the other is about 18ft. The taller one was built by my father when I was very young but he built the legs and ladder out of steel rebar if im not mistaken. There are X braces between each leg to make it more stable for being so high. The room is just made from 2X4 and 2X6 with plexy glass windows cut into grooves so they can slide back and forth. The roof was done just as a normal roof is; tar and shingles. However, when we built our second all wood box blind we simply put on a tin roof.

Each blind cost around 1,200. But for being so high, roomy, and made just the way we like it, it was more than worth spending the money. The metal tower has a 6X6X7 room and the wooden tower has a 8X7X8.
This leaves room for heaters, chairs, and cots if you would ever like to do some extreme hunting and stay in the blind overnight as to not spook any deer coming in the next morning.