Best Seed to Grow Big Bucks In the South - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Best Seed to Grow Big Bucks In the South

I am 16 and just aquired land from my Dad, and I have almost 150 acres to do with what I want. I am building multiple shooting houses, but do not know what the best seed to plant for the green fields that I will be hunting. So, will you please give me details on the best seed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Scrub Buck

Depends on where in the south you are. so if you post your location some folks in your area might have some ideas for you. However, I have the most fun trying to figure things out and that's what I recommend you do. Since you have so much room, get a few different sacks of stuff and plant different things. Through the year you'll be able to see which of your plots are producing with what and then next year you'll be ready to set them up.

A few things to try:

Clovers and other legumes (beans)
Oats
Winter wheat
rape or rapeseed
Ryegrass
Alfalfa
Chicory

Back when I was your age my Grandma used to always complain about deer in her garden and would make us boys come hunt them every weekend. I took a hint from that and will often toss in a few "regular" garden seeds with whatever I'm planting. Different greens (turnips, mustards, etc) and peas or beans of some kind. I'll scatter a handful of cabbage or carrots around as well... just whatever I have left in the truck after planting the garden. I don't spend time cultivating that stuff, if it grows it growse and if it don't my regular food plot will take up the slack.

Overall, deer will eat most any green leafy thing they can find when the natural food runs out but mixing things up will give them multiple choices in a single plot. The most important thing is to have fun figuring it out. It's probably too late in the year to start planting things now so you've got a while to figure out what you want to do. Most folks that I know start planting in late summer and maintian the plot through the winter. I know that some people keep a plot going year round with different stuff but I believe that once the natural foods come back in the spring you're wasting your time.

But then...
Opinions vary...
And that's just mine...

Hunt well, hunt safe.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Scrub Buck

The land is in Carbon Hill, Alabama.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Scrub Buck

For that area, pretty much everything I posted before will work but the rye and winter wheat will probably do best right now. If it were me, I'd get a mix of rye and winter wheat and get it in the ground this weekend with 13-13-13 fertilizer. It's getting pretty late in the year but you if you've got plenty of sun on the ground (at least 5 or 6 hours a day) you can still get a pretty good crop going. Once you get the wheat and rye in the ground you might go back and scatter clover over the top as a ground cover.

mix it up, see what works and plan to give it to them early next fall.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:28 PM
Scrub Buck

take some advice from someone who has allready been down the same path you are on get a soil sample use the proper fertalizers or your plots will not produce what they are capable of i spent a great deal of monny learning this the hard way