Please Help, Whats the preferred deer attractant/feed? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Please Help, Whats the preferred deer attractant/feed?

I cant actually plant where I hunt but I can put out corn and stuff. Ive been putting out corn in my feeders and the deer eat it some but I was wondering if anyone has had any luck mixing other attractants/feed or just something else that they have put out. I need something to draw them a little closer. Please Help! I dont have much experience and I'm trying to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 09:21 AM

If you go to Cabelas or BassPro.com you can go to the feed/attractants section and click on any item and read the reviews posted by people that have used the items and shared their experience with them. I guess some work better then others. Myself, I use Acorn Rage and nothing else. That can be found in both sites. Check it out and let us know what you think. GOOD LUCK.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Thankx!

Thankx for the advise I will do that.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Scrub Buck

The best attractant is the one that the deer like to eat, preferably when he aint got it. Now, I know that sounds like I'm trying to be funny but I've hunted all across the US and I've seen more than a few attempts to feed deer. Deer normally feed on whats naturally available to them. Deer up in the midwest love apples and apple scented feeds (or whole apples) work great for bringing them in. Down south, where there are fewer natural apples I've seen deer step over a pile of apples to get at corn and peas. I once tried feeding persimmons to deer in the midwest and they completely ignored them while deer in Louisiana will try to climb a tree to get at a persimmon. Deer in the north east tend to love foods with molasses where a deer in the south east might not even touch the stuff.

Deer corn is pretty much universal and if you've got deer coming to it changing things up probably won't make a lot of difference or might make things worse. As far as I know there's no "universal" super attractant that works everywhere (except maybe corn). That said, deer tend to be local critters and the "tastes" of the local population can be turned to whatever you want to feed them if you give them enough of it and give them time to adjust to it.

Old hunters will tell you that the best place to hunt deer when the acorns are falling is where the acorns are. It natural food that they prefer above all else and a feeder in the middle of all of that natural mast will probably not buy you a lot no matter how much apple scented molasses flavored corn you stuff into it. Once the natural mast is gone, they'll eat whatever you give them as long as your corn is better than your neighbors. :) Still, it's fun to try different things just to see what works. Heck, you might discover the next best thing.

(psst.. in Louisiana toss out whole persimmons and git ready!)

But then...
Opinions vary...
And that's just mine...

Hunt well, hunt safe.

Last edited by Sylanderxs; 11-19-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Unregistered

Smile

I bought Tator in a jug last year- it's sweet potato... deer just can't get enough... Gave a gal to all my friends that hunt here in Mississippi and Louisiana ... they are all ordering some this year , they all said they had good luck with it.... Good luck to all of u ,
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I bought Tator in a jug last year- it's sweet potato... deer just can't get enough... Gave a gal to all my friends that hunt here in Mississippi and Louisiana ... they are all ordering some this year , they all said they had good luck with it.... Good luck to all of u ,
LOL I don't think I would want Tator in a jug he is just fine where he is
I use deer pellets not corn has all the nutrients the deer need & seem to like it more & is the same price or a little cheaper here then corn

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 08-10-2011, 08:51 PM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I bought Tator in a jug last year- it's sweet potato... deer just can't get enough...

what?!?!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:51 PM
B&C 180 Class

TROPHY ROCK and WHOLE CORN
Old 08-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Scrub Buck

Its hard to beat corn.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:03 PM
B&C 180 Class

and don't waste your money on that apple corn crap that's mark up to like $12 for 40 lbs. Go buy a bushel at your local feed store for around $8. They'll find it just the same, maybe not as fast, but they'll find it. I'm a big nut for trophy rock... actually, before we left for the hospital (new baby!) I put one out. I can't wait to go check the cam this weekend sometime. I also plant about 2-3 food plots that are about 1/2 an acre of turnips. I plant them in late August. get you two 5 gal buckets and fill one up with loose dry dirt. as you shovel the dirt into the bucket, dump a little seed of turnips in with every scoop. Once done, pour the full bucket into the empty bucket and back and forth again about 10 times. This'll help get the seed separated and mixed into the dirt. Then take the dirt (if plot is small like mine) and hand throw it on freshly tilled land. I don't even rake it in, they don't have to be planted that deep. Now, last year was an extremely wet year for MO, so they didn't turn out great, but I'm hoping for a MUCH better crop this year.