why we miss - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:55 PM
B&C 180 Class

ok i got one im sitting in a tree stand its late december and its muzzleloader season.well its freakin cold i mean so cold everything has to be covered or it will freeze.well im sitting there waiting to see if im going to freeze to death when a big bunch of deer come out of the hemlocks.Im pumped know i wait for them to get closer i figure they are gonna use the well worn trail sure enough they start my way.I raise the muzzleloader to my face i put the cross hairs on a nice buck and squeeze.BOOM well after the smoke clears i see all the deer hightailing it out of there.I was shocked that the deer didnt drop so i wait a 1/2an hour replaying the scene in my mind and i say no way i miss thats when i notice my scope rings are loose.Son of a ..... i reload the muzzleloader and take aim on a big old dead tree i pull the trigger i hit the tree but it wasoff by 10 ft low.Im PO'd now and lower the gun get out off the stand and figure what the heck let me look sure enough bright red blood it a fine mist pattern son of a ...... againI wounded the deer so i follow this trail of sprayed blood real easy to follow in white powdered snow.I follow till i reach posted property.several weeks earlier i was hunting the property i thaught it belonged to the people who gave me permission .anyway the guy who catchs me warned me to stay off the property and that him and his sons hunt and his sons wouldnt be as nice if they caught.me.now im having a moral dilemma.do i tresspass and what if i get caught?I say heck with and cross over the line it was implied that i would be shot.What about the wounded deer?I say heck with it and follow the blood i searched for the deer for an hour .they kept going in circles going further and further into the property finally it was dark and i had to give up.I prayed that it was a marginal hit cuz of the way the blood was sprayed on the ground and the way the gun shot low i figured i hit em in the lower leg.I was sick to my stomach knowing i wounded and couldnt recove the deer .that was my last hunt for the season as i tore up my muzzleloader tag.I stll think about that deer and i get ill from it.i went out and bought a tube of loc tite and went to the range and sighted in my scoped guns then used the loc tite on all the screws.I hope the deer recovered and the coyotes didnt get em
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement