Taxidermy snakes - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:52 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Taxidermy snakes

Well I've been an aprenticeship at the taxidermy shop for 4 months now. Got deer down great, yotes pretty good, few squrril, no turkey ( but spring around the corner) but today we got in two big rattlers. Biggest one is 53" long other is 33" long. They were frozen till the customer had enough cash to deposit n bring, I get to skin them out tomorrow. ( man will I feel like a dumb butt if I bite myself with a dead snake, lol)
Old 02-01-2013, 08:56 AM

Something I would not have thought about as the venom thaws out is it still as potent? I know this is a bit off subject but in mid december when I was getting wood from the pile out back as I got down towards the bottom I ran into about a dozen brown recluse spiders. They were slow from the cold but moving. Spraying the wood will be on the list to do from now on. Snakes and spiders I can do without!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:16 PM
B&C 140 Class

I'm thinking just as bad if not worse. I stung myself with a dead wasp a few years ago and man o man did that little dead dude do a number on me !! And I did it looking at a boat for a friend, opened a hatch and the wasp was on the side of the boat rail and I lay'ed over it to reach down in the hatch n stung myself in the ribs.
As far as the snakes, I would think frezing them would only preserve their venom, but I'm not sure nor am I sure of the flow that would come out with them being dead.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:14 AM
B&C 180 Class

I was cleaning my basement and decided to walk-out the walk-out door down there in the middle of summer and something flew in front of my face and I ducked down and ran back inside and then the intense pain start on top of my head where I had been stung by 3 or 4 bald-faced hornets! Those things absolutely SUCK. Talk about hurt, 10x that of a wasp- easily.