Deer Hunting Forums banner

Winch or Hoist

13K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  gfdeputy2 
#1 ·
Just curious what you guys are using for hoisting deer? Ended my season last week here in Kansas with a nice doe and the neighbor and I about killed ourselves trying to hang it in my garage. Looking at a winch system for next year. Thanks, Bryan

#4 ·
I have a pulley system out in one of my trees in the back yard that I created. Go to a hardware store and buy some of that metal cable that is Rubberized on the outside and buy a good solid pulley. The rest is pretty self explanitory. Hang that from your ceiling. I use an old closet pole about 4 feet long and I cut a hole in each of the deer's hocks and slide the pole through.

#6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Been looking on-line at Cabella's, got plenty of time until next year to get something in place. Also thought about picking up a plastic kid pool this summer to catch the blood instead of the old trash bags on the floor system I had this year.

#9 ·
I use the gimble set from Walmart but I just trashed the yellow rope that came with it and bought a 100 foot rope and a boat trailer winch (hand crank). Crank is mounted on the post in the garage and gimble pulley to the rafter.
I like the kids pool idea for catching blood, I've always just wet my floor good with the hose and keep it squeeged clean.

#14 · (Edited)
OK that was funny. we are making one of those for our NY hunting trip as we have limited space to hang deer
For home I like Bruce have a Gambrel pully system
& now with the wheeler I can pull using the winch off the wheeler for the big ones

Bruce I have a cheap winch on the wheeler (Champion I think) that came with it. I don't think it will last long. how bad $$$ are the super winches looked at WARN but suprised me the amount of bad things I heard about them WARN used to be the goto stuff for off road stuff

#15 ·
I think if you shop the internet you can find some dealers that offer good discounts on the Superwinch's but If you're just looking for a light duty winch I think the LT2000 would serve you well,
If you don't want any worries and are willing to pay a little more I would go with the Terra35 Either way Im sure the Superwinch will perform when you need it to.
I have an older ATV3000 Winch and it's a workhorse, it's definately paid for itself many times over, I think paid about 225.00 for it when I got mine, best investment ever. Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.