Deer Hunting Forums banner

Dominant buck help

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is how it works (new here), but; deer question. If a dominant buck of a particular area is killed, will another buck assume that area? Found incredible rubs and scrapes yesterday that look very fresh, but I fear someone may have taken him before I got there. I just found them yesterday around noon while scouting (a WMA) so got in a tree as fast as i could; didnt see anything. I know I only sat yesterday afternoon, but time is precious at the WMA because you can only hunt there Sat and Sun! Any help would be great!

#2 ·
Dominance in an area can fluctuate somewhat. As bucks get older there are always new and upcoming bucks who will challenge them and sometimes a younger buck will beat out an older buck. It just depends. It's hard to determine 100% which buck is dominate in one area. A big myth hunters sometimes believe is that the dominant buck in an area is the ONLY buck that breeds the does. Younger bucks and smaller bucks will do some breeding as well. Good luck to you

#3 ·
This year in PA we had 7 different big bucks pass through the same 50 yd area, two didn't make it out of there. The point is, you probably have several mature bucks in your area. Giant bucks come rarely and need a mix of many things to reach really big racks. I would continue hunting especially near winter food sources.

#5 ·
Not sure if this is how it works (new here), but; deer question. If a dominant buck of a particular area is killed, will another buck assume that area? Yes Found incredible rubs and scrapes yesterday that look very fresh, but I fear someone may have taken him before I got there. I just found them yesterday around noon while scouting (a WMA) so got in a tree as fast as i could; didnt see anything. I know I only sat yesterday afternoon, but time is precious at the WMA because you can only hunt there Sat and Sun! Any help would be great!
All bucks make rubs and scrapes not just the dominant bucks. your area sounds like a good area with ongoing rutting activity,
I would suggest getting back in your stand and be patient, one of them bucks might slip up and wander in for a shot. Good Luck

#7 ·
Many bucks will make rubs and scrapes along travel routes. Scrapes will be used by more than just the buck that made it. Even does will check the scrapes. Most of the activity around scrape lines seems to be after dark on the properties I hunt. My most successful stand location is about halfway between a scrape line and a known buck bedding area. This puts me about 300 yards away from the scrapes, and close enough to the bedding area to catch some movement before dark. Try to read the sign in a way that tells you how the deer are moving there. If they are situated along a trail, try going both ways down the trail to figure out why they are using it...possible bedding and feeding locations.

#8 ·
Most important is, once the rut and the small secondary rut is over the scrape lines have no value and your attention should switch to winter food sources and the buck travel routes to them. Bucks will try to put on some bulk weight prior to going into the winter slowdown. Also the deer will tend to move later in the morning and mid day. This is for the northern deer herds. I would imagine the southern deer do not switch to a winter mode???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.