Deer Hunting Forums banner

I think I blew it....

5K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  tator 
#1 · (Edited)
Well while attending church yesterday I FINALLY talked my brother and sister-in-law into letting me take their 10year old son (my nephew) out hunting last night. Long story short, they allowed him to go and it was the final day of Rifle season and it was just doe only season with rifle. I was hoping to get at least one doe if not two so that I could donate them to the Share the Harvest program here in Missouri that feeds hungry families.
I picked my nephew up at around 2:30 and we headed to the tower stand. Right off the bat we saw about 10-15 toms and jakes and that really got him excited. I told him about how seeing them is a good thing b/c deer and turkeys are often working together when it comes to predator sighting. If deer see turkeys running, typically they wont stay around long either.
We didn't see much and at this time of year it's getting dark by 5pm. I told him that with the unusually high temps we've been having (high of 73 yesterday) they may not come out till last light. Which they did.
I saw a doe come out across the hayfield and I judged it to be around 450-500 yds away. What I'm about to tell you, I'm not proud of and yes, I was stupid. I decided to take the shot. Thankfully I missed, twice. I don't know what I was doing, or why I did that and I'm sort of disappointed in myself for taking such a long range shot. I guess you could say I was trying to play the part of "big-shot uncle". Well after the second shot, I saw more deer scatter from the area and I noticed there looked to be something laying on the ground. We waited a little longer but not till completely dark, and got down to go see if I did in fact get a doe. While walking there, we actually ran into the 4 does that we saw earlier and while standing up I took a very well balanced and well-placed shot. The does were around 200-250 yds away now. Somehow they circled around and came closer to us w/out us knowing it. Shot 1 missed, shot 2 missed and scattered them again. I then was in disbelief. I couldn't believe what I was doing. I then told myself I need to make this last shot count (IF I can get one). So I steadied myself as best I could while standing there and fired one last shot at a doe standing broadside, miss #5. :bag:

Needless to say, my nephew thought me shooting was the coolest thing ever and getting to see turkeys AND deer both was a blast. We had a long talk on the way home about how I taught him a lesson today... how NOT TO HUNT. He asked me "how so"? and I explained to him that the first 2 shots I took were too far away. I should've never shot because you don't want to injure a deer, you want to kill it right then and there if at all possible. 450+yds is too far and I should've known better. Then I explained to him that the next 3 misses were wrong too. I should've known after 2 misses on the same deer that my scope has to be off. (THAT's what I'm checking tonight b/c it's killing me). I should've never shot that 3rd time having known the first two shots at 250 yds were good shots and missed.

So, let the insults begin, I know I did the wrong thing and rest assured, I'll never hunt like that again- especially with my nephew or son or whomever along.

I will have to say that I did a blast taking him and he really enjoyed it and wants to go again. I can't wait until my son is old enough to go too.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think we have all at one point or another have made poor decisions because of being cought up in the moment. I think it's the reconising it and changing is called learning Fri our mistakes. I also lie that you said you explained to your nephew how and why what was wrong. I say don't beat yourself up over it, regroup and go another day.

#5 ·
Wow I can't belive especially you HM letting Tator off this easy after all the crap he has givin you LOL
Tator Life is about making mistakes & learning from them & you did one better you learned from it & also taught your nephew to learn from it so hopefuly he won't do the same I am hoping the scope is off & you are really not that bad of a shot but I am thinking it's not the scope
You know me I had to say something :yes:

#6 ·
yeah yeah yeah, get your gabs in. I'm feeling a little better about it, but wish there was more season left to take him out hunting again. I would take him bow hunting, but I don't have any set-ups where two people can hunt from since i've always been by myself. I've hinted to my wife multiple times that I'd like to get a 2-person stand that way when I do take my kids or nephews We can sit together even on bow hunts. I think he'd REALLY get excited on a bow hunt since we'd be more closer to the action.

HM--- I never have too few bullets on me... I always carry about 3x the amount I need.... just in case, say, a pack of 20 coyotes show up and I need to go rambo on them.

#7 ·
HM--- I never have too few bullets on me... I always carry about 3x the amount I need.... just in case, say, a pack of 20 coyotes show up and I need to go rambo on them.
& you know shoot 80 or so times to rototill the back 40
geeze can't hit a 130 # deer what makes you think you can hit a 40# dog :lol::lol::lol:

OK Tator I will stop

#14 ·
I'll take only one bullet to the field...... yeah on the same day monkeys fly.

Guess Tator must have missed "The Wizard of Oz" . . . could swear I saw flying monkeys in that one. Personally, I was going to recommend just one round as well.

I do have to say the same thing as someone else did . . . . . . . . hmmm, can't hit a 130 lb deer and you want to aim at a 40 lb dog???

But at least lessons were learned and the important part was getting your nephew out in a deer stand with you. Both of you got a chance to enjoy the afternoon with each other.

And you're right about another thing . . . . . . . this WAS too good to pass up! <grin>

RR

#15 ·
"I do have to say the same thing as someone else did . . . . . . . . hmmm, can't hit a 130 lb deer and you want to aim at a 40 lb dog???" Huh wonder who said that LOL

Well then

#16 ·
well just goes to show ya... I checked my rifle last night and my scope was off. I have no clue how, b/c I tightened every screw each time I went hunting. Never dropped or banged it on anything. WHO KNOWS. I was shooting high and to the right.

On a side note.... I would love the opportunity to challenge anyone (when my rifle is sighted in properly!) to a "shoot off". Just make sure you pack a lunch, it'll be a long day for you..... :)

#19 ·
Even with these old eyes you have no chance Tator. I would suggest that you go through all the scope screws and mount screws and blue lock-tite them in, then no worries. We'll have to do a DHC shoot-out some day between us all and see who takes home the trophy. I have one open spot on the mantel! :yes:

#20 ·
Even with these old eyes you have no chance Tator. I would suggest that you go through all the scope screws and mount screws and blue lock-tite them in, then no worries.
I did that before the season already, the scope must've hit something and knocked it off center or something. Heck I don't know.

btw.... you just said OLD. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.