Kodiak Brown Bear Hunt - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Kodiak Brown Bear Hunt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fzyu9O64Lk

Here is a link to my brothers Kodiak Brown Bear hunt. We also harvested a blacktail deer, sea ducks a pair of foxes and caught some massive King Crabs. There is lots of footage of the 41 bears we spotted.

Enjoy!

-JR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fzyu9O64Lk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 PM
B&C 140 Class

that was pretty cool and have wanted to hunt bears in Alaska for many years now. Im going to ask a question and hope you dont take it wrong or maybe it just didnt get shown in video. after skinning the bear It appeared that they left the carcuss. What the meat taken? if not why? I am a bear hunter and we always split up all the meat. Its very good
Old 12-02-2012, 09:48 PM

nice that you could capture the hunt. Congrats!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Scrub Buck

Any chance you could just post a picture of the bear for us OP. I don't do Youtube. :)
Old 12-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Scrub Buck

You are correct we did not take the meat of this bear. The brown bears here in Alaska are not fit for eating in the fall season. They have a diet that consist almost entirely on fish. This makes their meat very greasy and fishy smelling as well as tasting. I would compare it to eating a duck that eats fish such as a Merganser to a Mallard. We did notify the locals of its whereabouts therefore if they wanted to take any of the meat or organs it was available.

I will attempt to downsize one of the photos so it will post.

-JRIMG_5721.jpg
Old 12-07-2012, 10:00 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilliland440 View Post
You are correct we did not take the meat of this bear. The brown bears here in Alaska are not fit for eating in the fall season. They have a diet that consist almost entirely on fish. This makes their meat very greasy and fishy smelling as well as tasting. I would compare it to eating a duck that eats fish such as a Merganser to a Mallard. We did notify the locals of its whereabouts therefore if they wanted to take any of the meat or organs it was available.

-JRAttachment 2337
OK, I know what your talking about. Thats why we dont go down to the coast to bear hunt. the area that we would be hunting is a salt marsh area and the bears main food is fish, and like you said they smell and taste like old fish. The mountain bears or some good eatin. Dont blame ya for leaving that nasty sack behind
Old 12-08-2012, 07:19 AM

you learn something everyday. For me, I couldn't shoot something like that knowing it wasn't fit to eat. Understand this is not a slam in any way, i'm a meat hunter first and foremost. I was unaware that some bears eating natural foods were bad. I do know about garbage eating black bears but brown bears being un-editable, I didn't know. I grew up on Lake Erie and know what fish duck vs puddle duck eating is all about.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Scrub Buck

Thank you for posting the picture, nice bear and nice hide. Congrats!

I know all about what you speak. When I guided for coastal grizzly in British Columbia it was the same thing in the fall........... they were feeding on salmon and there is no way you can eat that meat.

Conversely, where my wife and I live and outfit for black bear, the fall bears have been eating natural vegetation, alfalfa, oats and barley all summer, followed by berries in the late summer and early fall. The meat from these bears is excellent.

One of these days I want to try for a brownie in western Alaska or perhaps go to Russia and hunt on the Kamchatka Peninsula. I have hunted grizzlies in BC where they are grizzlies one minute, walk a few hundred yards, cross an invisible boundary and become brown bears in SE Alaska.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Scrub Buck

Yep, most people do not understand the difference between a brown and grizzly. Its hard to explain to people that my 8' grizzly will score very high while my brothers 9' brown will not make the book. And the only real difference in the bears is that I shot mine 600 miles north of where he shot his.
-JR
Old 12-10-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilliland440 View Post

-JRAttachment 2337
This is not what I've heard, as a matter of fact it's the opposite from what I've been told by two different outfitters...,
Brown Bear meat is supposed to be best in the fall because the spring Bear meat is more parasitic after long hibernations.
Both outfitters I asked also said whether it's fall or a spring kill the meat is always greasy & gamey tasting but a fall kill always produces better meat.
I enjoyed the video but I have to say now knowing that the meat was left behind I'm not so excited seeing this hunt,
I'm sure there would have been a way to get the meat to somone in need rather than just leave it, Especially knowing you had quads to haul it out with.
well that's my opinion and I hope others dont make the same choice on their Brown bear hunts.
Good Luck