EHD Virus killing deer - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:20 PM

Default EHD Virus killing deer

10'o clock news in Buffalo, NY reports that the NYSDEC announced today the the "bug borne" illness is killing deer in Niagara county, no other counties listed as of yet. They also state that it is not harmful to humans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2007, 09:53 PM
B&C 180 Class

just what we needed .I wonder if its true or someone at the station is an anti.Cuz gun season starts this weekend
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-14-2007, 01:08 AM

wow that stinks. it is rare for it to be that far north.. we shall see if its true before to long though
Old 11-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Scrub Buck

I believe EHD is a disease that God has created to help control the population of the deer. Each year the deer population grows by leaps and bounds. Hunters can't control this population on their own. Even though EHD may take some nice mature bucks out of the hear, I think it is imperative to remember that this disease may be necessary. I have also read that EHD is not thought to adversely effect humans either by being bitten or eating the infected meat, but it is still not recommended to consume the infected meat.I've also read that the first freeze should kill the midges and reduce most of the midge population responsible for the harm caused. In fact, that is why EHD is so bad this year because of the mild winters we've had lately.
"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind." Author, Jim Slinsky
Old 11-14-2007, 06:33 PM

I know man the winters in WNY have been pretty generous lately. As a matter of fact today I was sweating bullets just being outside maintaining my 4 wheeler. It was like 57 today.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:28 PM
B&C 180 Class

gonna be cold for the opener TG
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky