Tator- 2, Deer- 0 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 AM
B&C 180 Class

Default Tator- 2, Deer- 0

Well finally had some luck this past weekend. On Saturday I was hoping I would see some deer early so that I could get back to the house and be there for when the DISH network guy came and upgraded our TV package, but at the same time, I wanted to hunt all day too. Well I got what I wanted in both senses. Sun up here in MO was around 6:50am with 6:20am being first "legal" shooting light. I saw what I thought was two does step out behind my tower stand and decided to pass on them in hopes a buck would be chasing one of them. I waited and all of a sudden one of the does looked back over my right shoulder- sort of behind me. I walked over to the other window and looked out and sure enough there was a buck. He was a buck I had seen and had plenty of encounters with. He was just a nice typical 8pt and he wasn't huge, but he had good body mass.
Time was around 6:50am, I slowly lifted my Remington model 742, .30-06 out the window and noticed I was a little unsteady. I shot. I missed. The buck began to run back the way he came- which actually was a good thing because now my angle to shoot was easier and not so strained. As he ran, I fired. Shot 2, hit him high- really high. As you can tell by the pics, it grazed his back bone and actually BURNT hair off his back. Still running, Shot 3, MISSED. He stopped. He heard the shot hit woods to his left. He turned and faced the woods. My magazine was out of rounds as I only loaded 3 in there. I ejected the mag and loaded 3 more rounds- of course while breathing about as loudly and pathetically as I could! LOL He never moved. Still watching the woods. Finally got the mag up to load, for some reason, the stupid thing would NOT load in my gun (no it was not backwards). So I had to manually load a round into the chamber. Finally got set back up, just hoping he was still there, he was, and he finally turned quartering away from me and I shot. Shot 4, I hit him a little far up (in the lower neck area) and dropped him.
It was then I remembered the does behind me, I swung back around and sure enough they were both still there. I shot the one that was right behind my stand about 50yds away and dropped her. I looked down at my watch, it was 6:55am and I was as happy as a school boy! I waited until 7:30am to give them time to expire - I normally wait an hour but I could see both deer and I constantly glassed them the entire time to make sure they were not going anywhere.
The buck turned out to be a nice 7pt that I really don't think would've gotten much bigger. He was completely bristled out when I first saw him and I later realized WHY. Those two "DOES" that I thought were behind me where actually twins, button buck twins. Yes, I killed another button. I swear I have the worst luck with them.
The 7pointer had a broken off brow tine and had TONS of tree shreddings on his forehead. He was a heavy sucker weighing at least 200 pounds and probably more.
Got both bucks cleaned and dressed - got pics with the kids and everything and off they went to the processor.

PLEASE NOTICE the nice beanie I have on my head- representing DHC!!!

Also note that I am 6'3" approx. 280 lbs, so if you think the deer looks small..... :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0293.jpg (97.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0288.jpg (96.1 KB, 16 views)
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 10:37 AM
B&C 140 Class

Nice one! Glad they stuck around for all that action.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:14 AM
B&C 180 Class

Thanks- so am I. If the buttons had ran off while I was noisily reloading, I'm sure the 7pt would have too. They maintained their curiosity long enough for me to get that final shot off.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:50 PM
B&C 120 Class

Good job Tator!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:55 PM

YEAH BUDDY Congrats Tator aint Buck fever awesome
everything seems like it won't work when you have a nice buck in front of ya
Just to let you know I am with ya on the button buck killing have shot a few too by mistake

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 11-22-2012, 07:42 AM

congrats Tator!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:49 AM
B&C 140 Class

Congrats Tator ! Nice deer
Old 11-22-2012, 04:33 PM
B&C 180 Class

Thanks everyone- it was nice to get that buck down. He wasn't the biggest guy ever, but still will produce alot of meat for the family. My son absolutely loved him!