Geared Up and Ready To Go! - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:22 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default Geared Up and Ready To Go!

As most of you should know by now, I'm a self-proclaimed rookie at hunting. I've owned and shot guns, but not in the field. Circumstances were such that I just didn't have the opportunity. Now I do.

So with that, I have put together the basic gear, picked up the gun, and need to get over to the local Firing Range to get my gun zeroed in, and become "one" with it.

The constant checks I do, of the State of Connecticut DEP Website, for Hunter Safety Classes (required before Licensing) either reveal classes that are seemingly "full" almost immediately, or none at all.

Here are my next goals:

-Get into some Hunter Safety Course SOMEWHERE (anywhere in my
State.
-Get over to the Firing Range
-Upon completion of the next available Hunter Safety Course, go to
Town Hall and get my Hunting License (even if I DON'T intend to hunt
this year, I'll need a License here, in order to secure one in Maine,
which is apparently the prerequisite for that).
-Plan a hunting trip for next fall (I have already made the necessary
call to my "brother" up in Maine and we are actively talking about
Moose in October, but I think a Buck Deer may be my only realistic
hope, if the odds of getting a Lottery for Moose are as tough as
I hear).

So my questions are:

-Am I missing any other opportunities, (leads) for Hunter Safety Classes?
(I have Rod & Gun Clubs in my area, but I'm having trouble getting
info from them).
-I went to my local Firing Range 30 years ago, with the rifles I had at
that time, in the hopes of getting out to hunt. What do they cost
these days? Time limits on the range? Do they provide Targets?
-I have heard that "getting picked in the Lottery in Maine for Moose
has taken SOME folks "ten years" to achieve. Is it really THAT hard
to get? What are my realistic odds?

I realize of course, that some of you are saying, "hey, this is a Deer Forum, not a Moose Forum," and I apologize ahead of time if my questions about Moose hunting are misplaced here. It's just that I figure that many of you have hunted for a lot more than just "deer" and likely have hunted in Northern Maine and Eastern Pennsylvania as I am hoping to do, and can shed some light on both locations and alternate food for harvesting besides Deer. (Got nothing against "Deer" at all; in fact, I heard that there IS no Lottery for Bucks in Maine. I'd think THAT would be a better goal, since there isn't a Lottery for them).

It is also possible that someone who reads this, might be from Connecticut as well, and is saying, "What about hunting right here at home?!" Valid point! There ARE Deer here, and an occasional Moose and Black Bear even. I have a fairly good friend who is a hunter here, who I'm trying to get info from (he's a busy guy right now, working for the Utility companies, and we are still cleaning up from Sandy in these parts, so I understand why he's hard to reach these days), about hunting in Connecticut. It is my understanding that "high powered rifles" are only allowed on Private Land in excess of 100 acres (or something like that), and I will have to make some inquiries to find out how to find these farms that will allow me, (not going to be able to convince the wife to let me go get another gun right now, like a shotgun for example), and what it takes to get permission to hunt there.

-Soupy1957

Last edited by soupy1957; 11-12-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 AM
B&C 180 Class

I highly recommend attending and taking the Deer Hunter's Education classes- they typically are a day and a half long (at least here in Missouri they are). Their goal is to get everyone passed, so don't stress about it.

Not trying to say you're old.... but you may check into the laws your state has about this requirement- here in Missouri if you were born before 1967, you are "grandfathered" in and do not have to take the Hunter Ed. Course if you don't want to
Old 11-13-2012, 03:14 AM
B&C 100 Class

Yep........I'm actively seeking a Hunter's Education Course (I thought I said that?) but finding one that is currently scheduled and still has an empty seat has been the problem. I recommend a class like that for anyone who plans on handling a weapon (speaking as a former gun owner and a former Military man).

Don't know if I can be "grandfathered" in or not in my State. I'll inquire (and yes, I suppose I am "OLD" by many standards..........lol).

-Soupy1957
Old 11-13-2012, 06:21 AM

for a safety class I would contact Conn. Fish & game or whatever Connecticut calls it

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 11-13-2012, 07:36 AM
B&C 100 Class

Yep, Department of Environmental Protection (Connecticut, and other States as well, I'd imagine). I've already Registered (a few weeks ago) for what they call a Conservation License ID (#578946) and am considering Joining the CSRRA (Connecticut State Rifle & Revolver Association. I'm doing everything I can to be an open book to the State of Connecticut, which I believe all honorable & responsible gun owners should do.

Off topic, sort of: Which brings up an interesting question: I'm "assuming" that if I were stopped by a PO for (let's say) a "tail light out" or something like that, that just like a handgun owner, I have an obligation to tell him/her if I happen to have my rifle in the car (unloaded of course).

-Soupy1957
Old 11-13-2012, 08:16 AM

Don't know Conn. laws but never a bad thing to let them know up front
I carry my pistol permit wrapped around my drivers license
so If I do get stopped it gets handed over with my license
would hate to reach for my registration & have a trigger happy officer see my pistol
it is for your safety as well as the officers

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright

Last edited by gfdeputy2; 11-13-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 AM
B&C 180 Class

Yes always tell the officers what you have in the vehicle - if you are in full camo they will probably ask you. I have not had this happen to me (and hope never to) but that's not something you hold back from an officer. You have to remember they don't know you from Adam.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:18 AM
B&C 100 Class

any thoughts on the CSRRA? (Obviously in YOUR State it would have a different acronym).

By the way, ..........as I explore different options for shooting for practice, I found the local Firing Range to be price intrusive. Did I mention they want $30.00 a day per person on weekdays, and $30.00 an hour on weekends, per person?!

My local Rod & Gun club is $350.00 a year for full club membership (including use of the Range) with no Initiation Fee ("Work" hours requirements for members are 15 hours per year, with an $11.00 charge for any "Work" hours not performed). Their Range is only 65 yards, but I can adjust for that I think (how do you do that, when zeroing in?)

-Soupy1957

-Soupy1957
Old 11-15-2012, 09:00 AM
B&C 120 Class

WOW.Thats expensive.I belong to a club with 25,50,75,100 and 200 yard ranges.They also have a handgun range and an elevated archery platform in the woods.I can shoot there from sunrise to sunset 5 days a week and on weekends when there are no other club events.I pay 35 dollars a year and occassionally clean up the property.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:50 PM
B&C 100 Class

I don't disagree about the expense. Connecticut IS an expensive place to live.

-Soupy1957