"Clicks" on a Scope adjustment - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:52 AM
B&C 100 Class

JayzDaddy: Thanks! I figure that Scope Mount makers are designing Mounts in accordance with a "standard" for most guns; which must be true.

I have a close friend who has not only been a gun owner for many years, but also is a Draftsman for Smith & Wesson. He used to work with me in MY company, and we have a close working relationship when it comes to blueprint interpretation. From experience, I have every confidence that Weaver knows what size screws to use. Just figured I would raise the question in case anyone came upon an issue in "fit" that I should be aware of, is all.

-Soupy1957
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Scrub Buck

Where you find your differences mainly are foreign vs domestic thread sizes and how deep in the receiver they tap. A Marlin 336 screw vs. a Remington 700 screw could have 1/8 to 5/32" length difference and if your erred on the long side by 1/16 it could have enough slop to change impact each shot but not enough for you to find without trial and error changing.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:45 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayzDaddy View Post
Where you find your differences mainly are foreign vs domestic thread sizes and how deep in the receiver they tap. A Marlin 336 screw vs. a Remington 700 screw could have 1/8 to 5/32" length difference and if your erred on the long side by 1/16 it could have enough slop to change impact each shot but not enough for you to find without trial and error changing.

Being a "QC" guy by trade, THIS was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for, with regard to the question of screw depth that came up during this thread topic. Thanks!!

-Soupy1957
Old 11-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Scrub Buck

Absolutely.... Back in high school (20 years ago) i worked in a small town small walmart type place in the sporting goods department. I went in green only knowing how to load and shoot a FIE single shot 12 guage. That first fall i sold, accesorized, and scoped more guns and bows than i had ever saw before. I think at the time there were about 40-50 bases on the shelves. Thats 1 manufacturer and not including stainless. The differences were the crown on the receiver, 1 and 2 piece bases, and screw depth. There were bases that fit many different brands but the difference were the screws.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:13 AM
B&C 100 Class

I saved myself a lot of aggravation yesterday when I went to pick up the 45/70, by asking THEM to install and level the Scope I had bought the week before. The only change that was made, after the install and before I left the store, was that he adjusted the X-Axis for me a bit, since my eye told me it was about 2 off. Oh, and they did go from a medium height Ring set, to a "High," because the Bushnell Trophy XLT Scope hit the rear sight with the Mediums.

-Soupy1957
Old 11-12-2012, 06:24 AM
Scrub Buck

A true mounted scope does appear slightly askew. The difference is the angle you tilt your head when you lay on the comb. Most people feel something is off but dont know exactly what it is.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:12 AM
B&C 100 Class

The adjustments that were made per my request were satisfying to my eye and not dramatic in nature. I'll take it under advisement that a slight tilt is natural. Makes sense really.

-Soupy1957
Old 11-24-2012, 07:38 AM
B&C 100 Class

Update: I had taken the rifle to the firing range yesterday, and my son in law and I shot about 20 rounds thru it.

-But-

I did NOT know if the scope had been "bore sighted" by Cabela's or not (they installed the scope for me).

-so-

In spite of the "clicks" I put to the scope at the firing range, I deemed them useless until (logically) I had "bore sighted" the scope.

Not knowing exactly how to do this, I searched on YouTube til I found a video about it. The gentleman in the video was showing how this could be done at home.

I set up the target on the back door of my house (inside) and set up my rifle (level front to back, and side to side, and firing pin and ejector pin removed) at the far end of the living room (obviously I had a clear line of sight to the back door), which was almost exactly 25 feet.

I had my wife move the target up and over until one of the bullseyes on the target was in line with the bore of the gun, and mark a clear dark center circle on the target.

Then I focused the scope, and moved the windage and elevation adjusters, until the crosshairs were on the center dot.

Done...........

Now I need to get BACK to the range and re-check the "fine tuning" of the Scope.

Live-n-Learn, as they say.........

-Soupy1957
Old 11-24-2012, 07:57 AM
B&C 120 Class

If the scope was that far off,start at 25 yds at the range.Make adjustments there before going to 100 yds.Make sure the screws on the base and rings are tight.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:12 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3212 View Post
If the scope was that far off,start at 25 yds at the range.Make adjustments there before going to 100 yds.Make sure the screws on the base and rings are tight.

Good points, all. As a matter of fact, I had to make a good number of click adjustments in both directions during the bore sighting setup.

-Soupy1957