Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   Muting or Killing My Own Scent (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/10135-muting-killing-my-own-scent.html)

soupy1957 11-02-2012 02:36 PM

Muting or Killing My Own Scent

I'd imagine there are about as many versions of how to remove your own scent from the equasion, as there are deer hunters.

One fella I watched recently, in his video on YouTube, talking about "hunting for deer," spoke of how he puts his hunting clothes in a bag with soil, leaves, branches, etc., that come from the area where he is going to hunt. Then he takes them out when he actually GOES on a hunt.

I suppose some simple rules apply: Being downwind, not wearing cologne or Anti-perspirant, etc.. I'd want to be as odorless as possible, right?

This same guy said that he doesn't even wash his hunting clothes in normal detergent. He washes them in Baking Soda (if memory serves).

Just how "anal" does one have to be, with neutralizing his/her own scent?

-Soupy1957

timberghost 11-03-2012 11:25 AM

I think it depends on how much you want to get a chance at deer. Taking the most precautions to up your success seems to be the most logical. I've done the dirt/leaves thing in a bag, taken pine needles and squished them all up and rubbed the scent everywhere. I've even scraped up the ground and rolled/dragged myself through the dirt. The more you try to trick their noses the better off you will be.

soupy1957 11-03-2012 04:25 PM

No such thing as a "stupid deer" eh?!

-Soupy1957

tommyboy 11-04-2012 07:40 PM

I would say that it makes a difference as to how close you plan to be to the deer. If you're bow hunting and need them in a lot closer to get a good shot, I would say all of that is a must but I like to do it all anyway... it makes for a better hunting experience. I wash my clothes in an unscented detergent that neutralizes odors, use a shampoo/body soap that does the same, and for several days ahead of time, I'll use an unscented deodorant. When I get in the area I'm hunting, I'll rub dirt/leaves/needles/grass into my face, neck and hands. Anywhere that's uncovered, really. I understand most scent comes from your neck and head, so I would recommend a hat (of course) and a neck gaiter, or at least a high collar. Good luck!

soupy1957 11-05-2012 03:21 AM

".......most scent comes from your neck and head."

Really? I would have thought, your anal cavity, (respectfully), your breath, and your arm pits, frankly!

Dirt on your face, ..........we used to do that for camouflage in the military, and I suppose it could suffice for killing scent too,

I remember in my youth, growing up above Caribou, Maine, we used to have to try and kill our scent so that we were not attractive to the "no see ums" (bugs) up there.

I'm assuming 100 yards max, downwind, with a potential for being typically 40 - 70 yards away. Not sure how typical that would be, (and I don't "bow" hunt), but .....

-Soupy1957

tator 11-05-2012 08:30 AM

Typically your neck and head are the parts of the body that have the least clothing on them (in cold weather hunting) that's why most scent comes from there.

Here's what I do:
I buy the green body soap that is scent killer and it'll last me all season (bow and rifle). It lathers up real good and leaves your body smelling neutral. I also wash any and all clothing that comes into contact with my body directly. If I sweat at all during the hunt, I'll wash everything before the next hunt. We have a bathroom in our laundry room so I just pile up the stuff that needs to be washed in the bathtub (that never gets used) and I'll wash it all at one time. I do use scent eliminating detergent as well and I dry my clothes in the dryer or I hand them up outside to dry. I do use scent spray for my clothes, but I don't go overboard with it. I spray my boots just as I'm preparing to begin walking to my stand and I'll spray all over my clothing just once. I also only wear my under clothes to the field. I'll carry my camo overalls and coat in a big tub and only put them on when I get to the field. same with my boots- I only put them on when I get to the field. ALSO- if I can bear it, I'll even walk to my stand in just my under clothes (thermals) and put my clothes on in the stand b/c that way you won't sweat on your walk in.

This has worked well for me. It keeps most of the scent off.

Body wash- I get the big 32 ounce- $15-$20 (lasts all season long)
Scent Spray- I get the big 24 ounce- $10-$15 (I usually buy two of them)
Detergent- two will probably do you for the whole season - $10

**Keep in mind, all three of these things will go on sale around Januaray/February and that's when to shop for them. I got the bodywash for only $10, a HUGE thing of scent spray with two spray bottles for only $15 (over 60ounces worth) and detergent for $5.

Januaray and February is the best time to buy your hunting stuff- especially at wal-mart!

tommyboy 11-05-2012 03:44 PM

I meant because of what tator said, those parts of your body have the least amount of clothing on them usually. I'm sure those other body parts do create MUCH more odor! Hence the importance of neutralizing soaps and detergents, etc. I wish I could get rid of bugs, they always seem to find me. The other day it was like a ladybug buffet in the stand, probably 400 ladybugs and wasps and yellow jackets eating them. Glad I had my mesh facemask, otherwise I would've got down out of that stand! This went on for hours...

soupy1957 11-06-2012 04:02 PM

"No see ems" are brutal in Maine, but probably not in Oct/Nov.

-Soupy1957