Deer Hunting Forums banner

vacation

6K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  BruceBruce1959 
#1 ·
Just a few more hours and Hubby and I are officially starting our weeks vacation. Hubby wants to get a shot at the big buck behind the farmhouse. Im not going to be picky. Id happy with a doe. We've got a couple of new stands we haven't sat in yet that should be in really good spots. And we have a blind sat up next to a trail leading yo a farm pond that's a regular drinking spot since the creek has gone dry. It should be alot of fun.

#2 ·
Day one is a bust. I didn't go out this morning cause ive got the stomach bug. I go out in the afternoon hoping I don't puke. Get settled in my stand and someone drives into the middle of the section and target shoots. The landowner on the other side and my Hubby both show up to let him know neither one of them were to happy with him being there. I give up hurry to the car and move to the blind south of town and here I sit. But i haven't seen a thing. :ranting:

#5 ·
Day #2. I sat in the stand where I had my bad shot. Hubby and I didn't see much till about a half an hour before sunset. But when the deer showed up it was pretty clear that the rut is on in Kansas. Had a pretty nice 10 point chasing does but I didn't get a shot.

#6 ·
Good deal- In Missouri the rut is starting but starting fast. When and how long does your firearms season last in Kansas? Ours starts this saturday the 10th and goes until the 20th. Then we have a doe-only season that opens on the 21st and runs into December sometime. Good luck to you and your husband (sorry I just can't say hubby!) hahahaha

#7 ·
Our gun season has been moved up this year. It runs fron Nov 28 to Dec 9. It usually opens on Dec 16. I wish I would have realized that sooner. I would have liked to take a vacation day on opening day of gun season. Maybe ill have really good luck and ill fill my tags this week. :yes: It's finally cooled off a little more this morning. I didn't see anything where I sat but Hubby had a small racked big boddied 10 point at his stand. He was taking out his frustration on a bunch of tree branches.

#8 ·
Wow, that's late- that'll be after the rut then huh? I was assuming you were talking about firearms season in your first post. I've heard of some states doing that, having their main firearms season after the rut happens. Not sure I'm a fan of that.

#17 · (Edited)
I sat in one of our new spots right outside of town this morning. Its the same place is hunted a few evenings ago and left cause someone was target shooting. Id never sat there in the morning but I knew there'd been a lot of deer on the field behind it at night. I got in the stand and about 15 minutes later there was a bunch of does walking through the field is came in on. One doe walked in behind me right as it was getting daylight but I couldn't get my bow. I was getting the stare down. She followed the rest back out in the field and they all left. I tried rattling and grunting and a little 2x2 walked right where she had been. He was real jumpy. He left and I rattled and grunted some more. A nice 11 point walked right back in that same spot. I drew back and my stupid shoulder locked up. He looked up at me and gave me the stare down. Finally he walked away to the field. I grunted to get him to come back and this guy came out of the creek. They walked around each other snorting and the 9 point walked in that same spot 15 yards to my left. I drew back, let it go, and he ran 30 yards on the other side of my stand. I thought is hit him but he was standing there like nothing had happened and there was no arrow in him. I got pissed, knocked another arrow, and figured if he came back around maybe id get another shot. I grunted once. He took a deep breath and looked like he was gonna jump and run and suddenly collapsed like a ton of bricks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.