Iron Sights -vs- Scopes - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:42 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default Iron Sights -vs- Scopes

This ought to stir up a can-o-worms, but that's not my intent. I'm just a newbie, asking "newbie" questions (aren't you tired of those??? lol).

I said I want to rely on my iron sights on the gun, but I'm being encouraged to put a 1.5 x 7 (or thereabouts) on my gun.

Two things, .......

A) I can appreciate the fact that, at 55, my eyes aren't what they
used to be, and having a Scope will help me achieve a "clean kill."
B) Back when I had another gun years ago, I remember being whacked
in the forehead by the Scope on THAT gun, and I don't want a repeat
of that; especially with the kick of a 45-70!

Your thoughts, advice, opinions, appreciated.......

I have been studying up, and it looks like Weaver is the most popular form
of Scope Base Plate, with a variety of rings to choose from. The "quick release" rings bother me. I figure if you snag a branch or whatever, you could slip that locking handle loose.

-Soupy1957
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 AM
B&C 120 Class

I don't know how hard a 45-70 kicks.Maybe you can get a long eye relief scope.I have done all my deer hunting with 30-30 and .243 rifles.Low recoil from these.With open sights you have 3 objects to focus on,the deer,the front sight and the rear sight.You can only focus on 2.The scope reduces this to 2 objects,the deer and the crosshairs.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 AM
B&C 100 Class

If it's a "first thing in the morning" (dawn) hunt, add another factor I suppose......the shaking from the cold!! (Depending on how long I've been sitting there waitin on the deer.

-Soupy1957
Old 11-02-2012, 10:37 AM
B&C 120 Class

A scope will extend your range, because that 8" kill-zone circle at 100 yards is just a smudge with iron sights and old eyes. Not many of us shoot minute-of-smudge very well.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:18 PM
B&C 180 Class

I'm with scorpion... a scope will increase the range of which you can shoot. Now, I have a scope that allows me to still use my iron sights below it if the deer is really close- which rarely happens to me during rifle season. My approach changes in Rifle season from that of Bow season. When I first see movement, I glass (binoculars), I come to a decision and MOST of the time I go ahead and get my rifle ready and aim at the deer even if I have no intent to shoot. If I'm not going to shoot, I work on my breathing and I work on my steadiness and pretend that I shot the deer. This really helps b/c when you are getting ready to take a REAL shot, your heart is pounding so hard and loud that you feel like the deer are going to hear it. I take the first shot opportunity I can get at a range I'm comfortable at. I have had too many instances where I waited for the deer to come 50yds closer (from like 200yds to 150yds) to get a better shot and then the deer spooked or just simply never gave me a shot to shoot.
Now, During bow season, on first movement I watch (if it's over 100yds I'll glass) and I'll grab my bow and lay it across my lap. when the deer gets within 60yds I'll raise my bow up when he is behind a tree or has his head down eating. I then wait patiently for him to come closer and to give me a shot at him at no more than 30yds.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:19 PM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy1957 View Post
The "quick release" rings bother me. -Soupy1957

You don't need this- most scopes will come with a base and brackets to mount onto your rifle.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:32 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thanks for the visual of you out hunting (lol). Very informative! I wonder what the closest distance is that someone (you included) have shot (rifle) a deer? Do they EVER come close enough to make it TOO easy?

As for the Scope Rings.......seemed like every website for Scopes I saw, the Rings to hold the Scope to the Weaver Base, were sold seperately. Even on Amazon.com.
I would have THOUGHT that a Scope would "come with" hold down Rings.

-Soupy1957
Old 11-02-2012, 06:40 PM
B&C 120 Class

Default Closest rifle kill

I have killed deer with a rifle at 20 yds.These have been deer disturbed by other hunters.I once had an adult doe run past me while I was on the ground sitting against a tree.She passed within 10 yds from the rear and stopped in front of me to look back past me.I already had the rifle up because I heard her coming.Luckily it was Doe season and she went in the freezer.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:48 PM
B&C 140 Class

This is why I like over n under scope rings. I don't have high dollar scopes that see in lower light conditions. I can us my iron sights for early and late and some times close range and the scope for normal avarage shooting.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:58 AM
B&C 100 Class

3212: There are seperate seasons for doe hunting and buck hunting in all States? (I often wonder about killing a doe, since they could be nursing a fawn. I wonder if it is better to leave the does alone? Is there a way to tell if a doe is fawnless?

On_The_Fly: I never heard of "over and under" Scopes. (I've heard of "over and under" GUNS). I'll explore this. I find it interesting that you rely on your iron sights for low light. I know they MAKE "low light" Scopes. You'd use your iron sights regardless of the distance of the deer?

-Soupy1957