Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   Should I Shoot Reloads? (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/10131-should-i-shoot-reloads.html)

soupy1957 11-01-2012 07:46 AM

Should I Shoot Reloads?

I suppose there will be a 50/50 split on this topic but, I figure it worth asking, since I'm such a wetback right now.......

There's a "hunter" in my shop who has a good deal of experience (certainly more than me.....being a rookie and all) with ammo, guns, etc..

He has offered to do "reloads" of my 45-70 Cartridges, "as long as you don't mind shooting reloads, that is" he says.

What's the concern? Is it NOT a good idea to shoot reloads? I know there are a ton of you who DO "reloads" right?

It's gotta be cheaper than a box of "new" ammo! What would you speculate the cost would be, (for reloads)?

-Soupy1957

Scorpion8 11-01-2012 10:16 AM

Shooting reloads is fine, if you are sure of the source. I shoot my own reloads, but nobody else's. And I don't reload for others.

TomS 11-01-2012 10:46 AM

1+ on what Scorpion8 said.
if you don't fully trust the source they MAY give you bad shells...
I know a bad shell can blow up a shotgun

soupy1957 11-01-2012 11:37 AM

I know the "guy" to some extent, believing enough in him as a person, to believe that he would attempt a good job. (Of course he states that he shoots his own reloads; I'd expect him to say that).

He showed me a sample round that looked "ok" from what I could see, but what do "I" know?!

I still don't know what he would charge me, but that's as simple as asking him of course. We just didn't go there yet.

I suppose I should ask around for anyone else who uses his reloads, and get a second opinion.

-soupy1957

BruceBruce1959 11-01-2012 04:12 PM

I agree with Scorpion8 also. No matter how well you know the person reloading, NOBODY is perfect, a simple mistake in reloading could cost the shooter or even an innocent bystander his/her life. that's my .02

soupy1957 11-02-2012 07:37 AM

If nothing else, reloads like the one example he showed me with a lead bullet and no jacket, will be "cleaning" hassle.

-Soupy1957

JayzDaddy 11-05-2012 12:38 PM

Shooting reloads is fine. I do reload for 1 friend and my dad only. Anyone else who wants me to reload for them i politely refuse but offer to teach them on my press.
Reloading is very easy. Seems hard at first but its not and is really rewarding. You create exactly what you want and you get extreme satisfaction when it all works.
Now not all guns are the same. His loads may be hole for hole or a shotgun pattern in yours. Order the instructional dvd from rcbs.com and watch it and see if its something you want to get into.

JayzDaddy 11-05-2012 12:41 PM

Also lead bullets dont mean leading the barrel. The hardness can be adjusted to where the shoot almost as clean as jackets. You can also learn to cast your own bullets as well.

soupy1957 11-06-2012 04:01 PM

I took a passing glance at the bullet reloading kits. Pretty darn expensive!

-Soupy1957

JayzDaddy 11-06-2012 08:47 PM

In the cabelas christmas catalog they have a rock chucker master kit on sale for 300 and the lee challenger kit for 125. Personally i like rcbs warranty but i have oooollld pacific equipment. I have nothing top end but everything works. Piece it together off ebay if need be. Maybe guys in the reloading section can piece together a set up. Im thinking of getting a turret press cause i am gettin to love handgunning. But a single stage press can do it all.

Its just some info for you. If you want more info ill be more than happy to help with what i can.