Deer Hunting Forums banner

Should I Shoot Reloads?

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  soupy1957 
#1 ·
I suppose there will be a 50/50 split on this topic but, I figure it worth asking, since I'm such a ******* right now.......

There's a "hunter" in my shop who has a good deal of experience (certainly more than me.....being a rookie and all) with ammo, guns, etc..

He has offered to do "reloads" of my 45-70 Cartridges, "as long as you don't mind shooting reloads, that is" he says.

What's the concern? Is it NOT a good idea to shoot reloads? I know there are a ton of you who DO "reloads" right?

It's gotta be cheaper than a box of "new" ammo! What would you speculate the cost would be, (for reloads)?

-Soupy1957

#4 ·
I know the "guy" to some extent, believing enough in him as a person, to believe that he would attempt a good job. (Of course he states that he shoots his own reloads; I'd expect him to say that).

He showed me a sample round that looked "ok" from what I could see, but what do "I" know?!

I still don't know what he would charge me, but that's as simple as asking him of course. We just didn't go there yet.

I suppose I should ask around for anyone else who uses his reloads, and get a second opinion.

-soupy1957

#5 ·
I agree with Scorpion8 also. No matter how well you know the person reloading, NOBODY is perfect, a simple mistake in reloading could cost the shooter or even an innocent bystander his/her life. that's my .02

#7 ·
Shooting reloads is fine. I do reload for 1 friend and my dad only. Anyone else who wants me to reload for them i politely refuse but offer to teach them on my press.
Reloading is very easy. Seems hard at first but its not and is really rewarding. You create exactly what you want and you get extreme satisfaction when it all works.
Now not all guns are the same. His loads may be hole for hole or a shotgun pattern in yours. Order the instructional dvd from rcbs.com and watch it and see if its something you want to get into.

#10 ·
In the cabelas christmas catalog they have a rock chucker master kit on sale for 300 and the lee challenger kit for 125. Personally i like rcbs warranty but i have oooollld pacific equipment. I have nothing top end but everything works. Piece it together off ebay if need be. Maybe guys in the reloading section can piece together a set up. Im thinking of getting a turret press cause i am gettin to love handgunning. But a single stage press can do it all.

Its just some info for you. If you want more info ill be more than happy to help with what i can.

#11 ·
thanks but I think I'll pass. I get the impression that having gunpowder around the house is not my wife's idea of a "good time." (lol).

I'm amazed that she wanted that .22 Winchester Bolt Action Single Shot, personally. Let alone allowing me to do "reloads."

-Soupy1957

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.