55 and just beginning to Hunt! - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:17 PM

The Butt-Out tool.....works great!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 06:17 PM

Over the years I've tried both ways now I cut around the outside and remove it through the inside. Once back at camp I split the pelvic area anyways. Anytime you get stomach material, urine, or other debris inside the body cavity, just use several buckets of water to flush out all the contaminates. This is another reason to always hang your deer from the head as it helps to drain all the unwanted blood out. Hanging deer from the legs allows blood to accumulate in the neck and upper chest cavity. If you cannot skin it it and the weather is warm slide bags of ice into the chest cavity to help cool it down. You will quickly learn not to slide your knife too deeply when opening up the abdominal area as you will have bad things springing out all over. Pull the stomach skin up and just get the knife under it. Practice makes you learn quickly. There will be lots of advice here, hope this helps some.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:37 AM
B&C 100 Class

Lots of great responses here. thanks to everyone who has posted so far. I have been watching a number of YouTube videos about Field Dressing a deer, and have seen the basic similarities in all, along with some of the differences.

For starters, I've seen the removal of the "sweet meat" along either side of the spine just before the hips, that everyone covets, along with all the other meat.

It would be more likely that I would gutt the deer, and bring it to a local butcher. How do you find out "who" will cut up your meat for you? Obviously if I shot the deer locally, I will find someone ahead of time for that, but when I'm "away" from home? (I guess I can find out from the locals that I'll be hunting with. Heck, they might even cut it up for me themselves).

-Soupy1957
Old 11-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Starting here too at 46.

Same here but starting with a crossbow, and at 46. Got a shot at one but rushed it and short ranged him.(was a 6pt.er) so much to learn yet.Hope this form provides alot of info and knowledge without the problems of the local forums.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 PM
B&C 120 Class

The best way to learn to cut up a deer is to find someone who is willing to help you when you get your deer. Watching you tube videos is great but nothing beats having asomeone there to actually walk you through it in person. Actually its a really good idea to find you a buddy that's gonna be able to help you even after you learn how to do the stuff yourself. Tracking, loading, and hanging a deer always works better with an extra set of eyes and some extra man power.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:20 AM
B&C 100 Class

My first "hunt" will be with a trusted and experienced friend/hunter. I'm looking forward to applying what I've learned in a "practical experience" situation.

I just hope that, if I accidentally pierce the stomach or whatever, that the Pssssssssst that is abruptly heard, doesn't startle me.......lol.

-Soupy1957