Deer Hunting Forums banner

try, try, and try again.

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Hellbilly 
#1 ·
Getting ready to go out and try once again to get a doe. Seems like its never gonna happen and I'm really getting my spirits down but I'll just keep on trying. Maybe eventually it'll happen.

#3 ·
yup I have years like that too
This is one of them they just seem to be beating me at the game this year
Don't let it get you down. It will happen I find if I think too much about getting one it usually makes it worse. When I am having one of these seasons I just think about how great it is just to be out in the woods & all the deer & wildlife I have seen
Don't put to much pressure on yourself
Good luck!!!

#4 ·
Don't let yourself down, if you keep at it, it will happen.
You should Always remember, if killing a Deer was easy, anyone could do it but we all know
it takes a skilled hunter/huntress with a good amount of knowledge and training with plenty of patience and determination to get the job done.
Good Luck :thumbup:

#7 ·
Keep in mind KD, that if you are a hard-core hunter (like I know you and your husband are), you're going to come back empty handed most days after hunting. I can't tell you the ratio I'm at, but I'd say I harvest a deer maybe 1 out of 15 times hunting. Now, keep in mind, this mainly includes bow hunting. For rifle, i'm more like 1 out of 5.

#9 ·
The harvesting will come with patience and experience one step at a time. Tator talks about the ratio of hunting days vs harvesting days, my ratio is probably 5 sit days to every deer killed, partly because I'm a meat hunter and not a trophy hunter. Because I travel to hunt it is important to understand the area you are hunting to maximize your chances of taking a deer. Hunting property with good deer numbers sounds like a simple matter but many hunters don't know deer density. If you have decent deer numbers then the most important thing is to know how they travel morning and night, where their bedding areas are, where water is, and where the natural food source is at the time you are hunting. When you factor all these things together a plan takes shape. Hunting extremely low deer density hunting grounds is very hard to do because sit times can be very long. In that case, if legal, a feeder, food plot may be your answer. In Michigan two weeks ago I sat for 20 minutes to harvest one then went 3 days of not seeing anything. That's hunting! Good luck, be patient, know the area you are hunting.

#10 ·
I always get anxious after I kill one. My mind starts telling me the next time I go out I'm going to get another one... but that's never the case. My deer density is average. It's not high, but definately not low either. For rifle season my approach changes,,, deer are more apt to move around (at least in my area). I start seeing bucks and does that I've never seen before b/c they are chasing. During bow season, that's when I pay close attention to trail cams and try to pattern the deer and figure out where they are going and when

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.