Update on Sons First Deer(Buck) - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:10 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default Update on Sons First Deer(Buck)

I shared about my 12 yr olds first deer a nice BUck a while back. I took the deer in to the Taxidermist on Sept. 17th and last night got a text and picture from him to update the status. Thought i would share how its going. He says I should have the deer back in 3 to 4 weeks after drying.

I also put my lates Buck My first Bow kill on a Moutain Mike Euro Mold I used the White skull for my Bow Kill. The Camo Mold is My First Buck in Kansas a Busted up 10 point with about 7 or 8 points intact. Thinking of having the taxedermist rebuild the other points to show what this deer should have been (thoughts on that)???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg erik.jpg (73.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg me.jpg (75.3 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 10:02 AM

Pics look real good!!!! Rebuilding the break? If it can be done then why not.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 AM

Real nice mount for the son's deer! As far as altering the buck you shot: Questions that I would ask myself. Would I want to change how he looked when I shot him after all I knew when I pulled the trigger that he wasn't perfect. Making him something he wasn't, what am I trying to do or say? For me, if I broke a point dragging or some other way then I'd probably have it fixed but to re-make a lot of his rack to something maybe he had, I'd probably dismiss those thoughts. I think a big part of mounting game animals is to preserve that last memory picture of the animal when it was dispatched. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:48 AM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Real nice mount for the son's deer! As far as altering the buck you shot: Questions that I would ask myself. Would I want to change how he looked when I shot him after all I knew when I pulled the trigger that he wasn't perfect. Making him something he wasn't, what am I trying to do or say? For me, if I broke a point dragging or some other way then I'd probably have it fixed but to re-make a lot of his rack to something maybe he had, I'd probably dismiss those thoughts. I think a big part of mounting game animals is to preserve that last memory picture of the animal when it was dispatched. Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree I knew what he was when I shot him. I do not generally "Hunt Horns" I hunt meat. Dont get me wrong I like the big impressive racks but would never let a sure freezer of meat walk because his horns arent big enough. I have apicture of the buck a couple weeks before I shot him with out the breakage. wITH OUT THAT i WOULDNT CONSIDER IT.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:11 PM
B&C 100 Class

Sorry bout the caps thing in last post not intentional.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:20 PM

Thought maybe I'd hit a nerve? Anyway only matters to you what you decide on the mount. It's a good subject to see what others think.

Last edited by Hunting Man; 10-15-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:41 PM

I think I'd leave it as is but i'd be sure to print out the pics for framing to display with the mount,
the pics will show what he was and the mount will show what he ended up as.
just my .02 cents

Old 10-15-2012, 05:33 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Thought maybe I'd hit a nerve? Anyway only matters to you what you decide on the mount. It's a good subject to see what others think.
Thats Funny. Nah I was just trying to type a reply on my Iphone during a meeting... It deer season I am prioritizing. As for the deer I never considered "fixing" the antlers didn't know it was available actually. I showed the Taxidermist who is mounting my sons deer the deer 2 weeks prior to my shooting it in a picture from my game camera and the antlers on my euro. He suggested I let him "Rebuild" the antlers. I was trying to figure out what I though about that. I actually like them the way they are the more I think of it. That buck was a "scrapper" the pics before the Rut and his shape after show that. And he was still chasing Does when I shot him Dec 1, 2010. I think he is who he is and we will leave it at that. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:34 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
I think I'd leave it as is but i'd be sure to print out the pics for framing to display with the mount,
the pics will show what he was and the mount will show what he ended up as.
just my .02 cents
Agreed he earned those broken tines he was a scrapper
Old 10-16-2012, 11:22 AM
B&C 180 Class

I'm with HM, whodat. I'd leave him be. that gives the buck character.

One mistake I made and I wish I hadn't.... The only mount I have (so far) I shot him in the lower neck. The taxidermist told me that the hole would always show unless he used an alternative cape. Well being uninformed, I allowed him to put my antlers on a new cape. Which is fine, but each time I look at my mount, I wish I had left the cape just the way it was with the hole so that I could tell everyone that's where I shot him. Now, granted, it wasn't the best shot, but it got the job done and it would go along with the story. ya know?

nice buck your son shot! awesome!