Deer Hunting Forums banner

VA Deer Hunting

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  findmeoutside 
#1 ·
I am new to this region... just moved from a ranch in south Texas so i am way out of my league when it comes to hunting in the mountains. i have some land to hunt and after doing a lot of scouting it appears that the land i have to hunt (100 acres) it is mainly a travel route. there are not many acorns or food here minus about a 15 acre field. the land has some thick flat areas an open flat areas where most of the rest of the land is on the side of a mountain and pretty thick. any suggestions on how to pick a good spot would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,

#3 ·
What is growing in the field?I used to hunt a mountain side farm in Pennsylvania.The fields were abandoned and only held grass.I killed 12 deer there and checked stomach contents.Most of them only held grass.I would check the perimeter of the field looking for trails entering it.Then set up back in the woods where you can see one or more trails.

#4 ·
Edges. Most deer are edge creatures, meaning they will travel along the edges of where the woods meet the cleared lands. They like to be able to jump back into the woods if they are pressured out feeding in the cleared land.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.