Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   NH Does (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/10016-nh-does.html)

gfdeputy2 09-18-2012 05:13 AM

NH Does

I have a lot of respect for our Fish & Game but I just don't know why they do what they do sometimes. My opinion (along with a lot of others) in the 2 zones I hunt our buck to doe ratio is way out of balance I am guessing here we have 5-10 doe per buck. there are a bunch of hunters in these areas that are strictly Buck hunters & don't think does should be shot. they were trying to get NH to set up QDM. 6 points or more & NO Doe, not even youth weekend. this didn't go through thankfully then NH cut down the days for firearm & muzzleoader that we are allowed to take does. I am sure they know more about the states deer heard then I do but I think the state is actually doing the deer managment that QDMA wanted for the most part without actually adopting it. Just my rant havent had one of these moments for awhile

BruceBruce1959 09-18-2012 08:22 AM

QDMA would suggest removing a lot of them Doe's and I guarantee If NH issued permits or changed rules to allow more Doe harvests,
the majority of hunters would not go along with it so any attempt the state makes to correct the Buck to Doe ratio won't amount to squat.
There is a huge problem in many states where the hunters think they know more than the states trained Biologists,
that is exactly how it is here in Vt. A lot of Vermont hunters thought Vermont had Antler restrictions just to create bigger racked Bucks,
and no matter how you explain it to them, they'll never believe otherwise.

QDMA Quote;

"Depending on herd productivity and the intensity of buck harvest, the sex ratio often becomes heavily skewed in favor of females. In some herds, particularly those where substantial buck harvest occurs before the rut, this imbalance may result in some does not breeding during their first estrous (heat) period, or perhaps delay their first estrus. If does do not conceive during their first estrus, the next breeding opportunity will not occur until 28-30 days later. The doe’s fawns will be born one month later for each cycle missed. Later-born fawns have lower survival rates, lower weaning weights, and poorer antler development as yearlings than fawns born at the appropriate time of year.
Quality deer management (QDM) is a management philosophy/practice that unites landowners, hunters, and resource managers in a common goal of producing healthy deer herds with balanced adult sex ratios and age structures. This approach typically involves protecting young bucks while harvesting an appropriate number of female deer to maintain herds within existing environmental and social constraints."

gfdeputy2 09-18-2012 08:33 AM

Bruce I agree 100% I do know Fish & Game has done a great job boosting the deer heard #'s over the years every year we see more & more deer
I went to a couple F&G meetings & that is what a group wanted was QDMA involved & they were pressuring the state to have an AR of 6 points or better & NO doe
the state would not be pressured but I just question why in my Main zone they dropped the doe days down. you can drive past almost any field in the morning & see 4-6 Does
I jsut think some of these "trophy" hunters watch to much T.V. one actually said they wanted NH to have Kansas quality deer
just stupid thinking there we will never have it VT has a better chance then us we have less & less farming here

BruceBruce1959 09-18-2012 08:45 AM

you and I know, Vt. and NH are both struggling to see who can be the worse state to hunt in. :lol:

gfdeputy2 09-18-2012 12:02 PM

HAhA we are neck & neck